Chapter 47

Mike

"Or you could actually tell them the truth, that you broke up with your boyfriend. I mean what's the worse that could happen Amanda?"

"It's not that simple."

"It's not, but trust me saying the truth is the best option."

"Are you having second thoughts about this?"

"I just want you to consider every option you have. So tell me, after introducing me as your boyfriend what next? How do you get out of the lie."

"When we get to that river we'll cross it, just this one day."

This was how I found myself at the doorstep of the lbeh family

"Young man, come on in." I  was dragged in by one woman and my God, was it noisy inside. Whose idea was it again that I should come later?

Everywhere was bustling with movements and everyone was talking at the same time. I smiled as I watched them, trust me when say that my extended family is bigger than this, so it felt just like home.

"She's in the kitchen." The woman said and disappeared in the crowd. Yes, crowd people. I suppose I was meant to find the kitchen myself? Then one child ran into me while chasing some other kids.

"Watch where you're going sir." She said politely before running away and I chuckled.

I guess I was closer to the kitchen when the aroma got stronger. I stood there and watched them move around the kitchen and for a moment there I thought I saw Kamso

"My baby is getting more and more aggressive with her kicks." One of the ladies said rubbing her hand over her stomach.

"How far along are you Somy?"

"Seven months. And my husband is the greatest man on the face of the earth. Amanda love, I heard your boyfriend broke up with you-

I shook my head and smiled. Every family had that l guess, the cousin you're always competing with. Perhaps it was one of the reason why Amanda asked me to come. I never understand why women feel the need to goad thermselves on such issues shaa.
I walked in and gave her a side hug She jerked in surprise and turned, her smile widening when she saw me.

"You startled me." I kissed her forehead and pulled her in for  a hug.

"Sorry I'm late." I whispered. "And no, we didn't break up..." I spoke out for the cousin to hear

"Somy. I told you about her remember? She's the one that.."

Amanda cupped her hand around my ear and whispered
"Thanks for coming" smiled all the while looking at her cousin's face.

She was furious, I was right. There was always that cousin that's trying to best you. I nodded and played along with her.

"Oh, I remember her now baby. Nice meeting you Somy."

"Somy, this is my boyfriend Michael." Amanda said hooking her hand in mine.

She nodded and gave me a tight smile. Standing there was like world war two. I'm telling you there's nothing like standing between two women that had qualms.

"Micheal–

"Call me Mike."

"How come I haven't heard your name before now? Knowing my cousin, she can't resist telling everyone when she's gota new man."

"I simply don't want evil people jinxing my relationship." Amanda said looking at Somy. I sense too much bad blood here people.

"Come and meet my parents love." She led me out of the kitchen and I let out a breath of relief.