Chapter 49

Mike

I dialed her number again and waited for her to pick up, while knowing that she won't. It's been days since our encounter. I'd been a fool for letting her slip away without saying anything. Pick up Kamso. And ever since, I'd been caught up on her, I couldn't
do anything else. Thoughts of her filled my mind, I thought of her every single moment of the day.

The years had been nice to her, I wish I could say the same about me. She had matured into a breathtaking beauty. While she had been beautiful back then, now she was...she was...how to explain it? I sighed and bowed my head on the table before me. Images of her flashed to my mind.

I loved how that gown matted to her body, flaunting her curves. When her mouth hung open in surprise or was it shock, I had wanted nothing at that moment but to take her sweet mouth in mine. How I've missed kissing her. Why did you give up on us Mgbo?

I've missed talking with her and to her, we could stay for hours talking and teasing and laughing. I've missed that. Looking at her face and being able to tell how exactly she was feeling. I frowned when I remembered how I wasn't able to get any emotions from her few days ago. Apart from the initial surprise on her face, nothing. Her face had been blank and I couldn't tell if she was happy or sad to see me.

Looks like roles have been reversed because I was sure I wore my hearts on my sleeve. The shock I had felt when I saw her, the urge to hug her and promise her that we would be fine and the yearning to have her in my arms. The shrill ringing of my phone snapped me out of my thoughts and I sighed when I saw Amanda's name on the screen.

Well you weren't expecting Kamso to call now we're you? I thought.

"Yes."

"I'm up front. Come open the door." I frowned and ended the call, dropping my phone and then walking reluctantly to the door.

"Hey. Come on in." She walked in tentatively and I shut the door behind her.

"Nice way to welcome me." She murmured and I shook my head.

"Do you want anything?" She shook her head and sat down. We talked for a while, about many things but my mind was not there.

"Chinwe's wedding nko? Are we still attending together." She asked and I nodded. she stood and said something about having someplace to be.

I nodded and watched as she drove away. That went well, I hope. I plopped down on the couch and dialed Kamso' number again, she wasn't going to pick it I knew that already but it gave me some kind of
comfort that it was ringing that it wasn't just switched off.

In that case, she'd know that I called. I closed my eyes and dropped the phone on my chest and listened to her caller's tune. When it ended, I listened for the normal buzzing of the phone to show that she hadn't picked it but I didn't hear anything. Seconds later and still nothing. Could it be that....no way. I got up and took the phone and looked at the screen 0:03....0:04..0:05, when it finally clicked. She had picked up.

"Kamso...Mgbo, I...I can't believe you picked...I miss-

I heard a sound which meant she had ended
the call. In all my thirty years of living no one ever had that power to reduce me to such feeling of
hopelessness. Yet she does it so effortlessly.

                 ***********************

"Here." Jay tossed a bag on the bed and walked to the bathroom.

"What is it for?" Another guilty gift of his apparently.

"Open it and see." I rolled my eyes and opened it, pulling out a red gown from the package. I held it away from me and looked at the whole length of it.