Chapter 47

Valerie

I draw the sheer curtains by the window apart, allowing moonlight to slip through the dark. My finger slips into the lock on the window and clicks it open. I push the window open, pushing aside the wooden covers on the outside.

Silver lighting floods my room. It's midnight. I look over to the bed I haven't slept in in months. Leo is in his bedroom asleep, I was too until I got kicked in the stomach.

It's hard to fall asleep with a baby having a soccer match in my womb. I thought.

Feeling that kick, which was followed by a thought pulled me out of bed, away from his arms and into my room once I realized a living human is living in there.

Life. I'm creating something I'm usually the one to end for most people I meet. It's my job. It's my power, I've grown to like and feel ease in snatching away the soul in a living body, and make sure it's gone cold.

My chest constricts, I can hear my heart beating in my ears. Too many thoughts climb up my throat. thoughts that have enough contradiction to war as people.

I drop onto the end of my bed, everything slows. Sight and sounds blur.

I don't feel guilt, nor do I feel remorse or evil. I know why I do what I do, and I regret nothing, but the undeniable life force brewing bellow my belly button is meeting the level of destructive chaos I leave in my wake, and the polarity is suffocating.

I've been tortured, emotionally, physically, psychologically, I've been tortured. And somehow pregnancy is the only state that has ever brought me to my knees.

I don't get on my knees, not if a gun was halfway down my throat.

"Val"

His voice breaks through the argument I'm having with myself at two in the morning. I turn my head and my eyes meet his. His expression morphs from sleepy to worried with a look. He takes two steps with those building length legs, suddenly he's standing over me, with his fingers moving hair away from my face.

"breathe"

I keep my eyes off his until I'm contained enough to look.

Leos warm blue eyes have drawn things out of me since I was sixteen. I've hated him for it for years, now it's hurts me because I keep it together when he's involved.

I lose control, something I'm not exactly fond of, the comfort I feel in his gaze is terrifying.

His warm hands rest at the sides of my face while he patiently waits for me. His voice sounds clearer, my throat opens up, my breathing steadies, and I open my eyes.

He contains me, he always has, he gives me space to fill, so It never works when I try to keep things from him anyway.

His eyes are locked on mine, brows pulled together, one breath in, and I'm right back where I was. Everything slows, my face meets his chest. I stand up and hold onto him.

He envelopes me, his hands hold my body to his, he tilts my head up by my chin, "Tesoro".

My gaze meets his again, I hold myself together long enough to calmly tug his hands down to my hips, he obeys when I tell him to lift the slip dress up towards my chest.

He slowly does, towering over me, standing so close can lay my head on his chest, keeping his hands on my body.

I close my eyes for a moment, and open them when he stops moving. He's looking down, I cant see his face.

His palms are on my swollen stomach, both warm and chilling on my skin at the same time. "Valerie" he says my name quietly, like a statement, like it's the only one he's ever wanted to say.

I look up him when he lifts his gaze from my stomach to mine, nothing but overwhelming adoration in his eyes. "are you pregnant or did your stomach hit it's head?" he questions so genuinely I break into laughter, then I realize the tears that have been running down my face.

His face lifts into a gorgeous smile, he's completely calm. He's comfortable, he's acting like he's known the whole time this would happen. He's holding onto me like it's been his job to keep me safe, to protect me all his life.

His scent traps me, the black shirt on his hard warm chest inviting, his big muscular arms constantly at my back, he's ready to hold me up when I'm completely fine, and when my legs drown under the weight of my body.

Once that thought sinks in, he holds us up. This kid is going to be the reason our body count spikes.

"I love you" 

his lips fall onto mine, he thanks me, praises me, and keeps me with a kiss.