Chapter 16

Dylan enters the kitchen, a small frown on his face as he scents the air.

When he spots his mother by the stove, he freezes.

"Mum, what are you doing?!" He asks suddenly, rushing forwards.

He turns off the stove quickly with one hand, the other dragging his mother away from the flame.

"Honey? What's wrong?" She asks softly, her hand fluttering to her sons cheek.

He exhales heavily, his eyes closing as flashes from a night he wishes he could forget resurface.

"You know you're not supposed to..." Dylan trails off, his eyes meeting his mate's from across the kitchen island. He hadn't even noticed he was there, hadn't even smelt him, not with all the...

His jaw clenches as he realises that that phantom scent is nowhere but his mind, and yet it is still enough to cloud every sense.

"What are you doing here?" Dylan asks sharply and Orion raises a brow.

"Kieran and Sam had a meeting. I drove him over. You approved it." Orion reminds, a stupidly satisfied smile on his face.

Dylan's jaw ticks in irritation.

"I didn't approve you making yourself at home." He says tersely.

His mother smacks his shoulder lightly.

"Dylan Benjamin West, we welcome guests in this house! I raised you better than that." His mother scolds and he purses his lips.

His heart warms at the berating, a small smile lifting his lips for just a second as his mothers eyes burn in indignation.

"Sorry, mum." He murmurs.

His stare flicks back to Orion, whose expression is very smug, but it doesn't hold the weight that it used to.

Nurse Callie bustles into the kitchen at that moment, sighing when she spots the matriarch.

"There you are, Ellie! I keep telling you, if you want a cup of tea, just ask me! I'm more than happy to make you one." Callie says.

Callie is a plump, no-nonsense woman with a stern face and a kind heart. She commands a respect among the pack, her demeanour, skills and service to the matriarch setting her apart from the rest. She's been with the West family for the last three years, and in many ways, is a godsend.

"Oh, you fuss too much. I'm more than capable of making my guest a cup of tea." Ellie says, but doesn't resist when Callie gently guides her away.

"We were going to go into the garden after lunch, remember? I'm sure Alpha Vice won't mind." Nurse Callie says.

Callie openly glares at Orion when he opens his mouth, and he looks incredibly offended. Dylan smirks, chuckling at the tenacity of his head nurse. If he had to place bets as to who'd win in a fight, he'd back Callie till next Sunday. That woman is, frankly, terrifying.

Orion backs off, nodding with a small, puzzled frown on his face.

Dylan watches his mother go, his humour fading fast as frustration and despair simultaneously settle in his bones. Callie does a good job, no one argues that, but this is the second time she's dropped the ball whilst he's been busy.

Dylan resigns himself to the fact that he can't do everything anymore. He hates that it makes him feel like such a failure.

"Ellie looks good." Orion murmurs.

Dylan glares at him, hating the statement. It only serves to dig the trench separating them a little wider, and in that moment Dylan feels that his mate has never been further from him.