brothers

six and four years old

"Daddy, can I sleep in Cal's room?" Maven asked.

He was my younger brother, and he usually slept in my room because he was afraid of the dark. I didn't mind though. We were really close.

Our father agreed, and we both ran to my room, Maven clutching his favorite red blanket.

Later, when we were both settled in bed and about to fall asleep, I decided to ask him something.

"Mavey?" I said quietly.

"Hmm," he mumbled.

"What's so scary about the dark?"

"It's...hard to see. Could be monsters hiding. Or...other things," Maven answered, half asleep.

"Like what?"

He was quiet for a while. I realized he had fallen asleep. I thought about what he said, though, until I fell asleep myself.

I had pleasant dreams that night. He didn't.

...

seven and five years old

Maven and I ran around our play room, young princes, unweighted down with all of the cares that come with growing older, especially in a royal family.

I chased Maven around, pretending to be quite the scary bear. He was two years younger than me, and not very fast, so I caught up to him easily. I tackled him, both of us laughing hard and shrieking.

"Get off, Cal!" he said.

"Hey, I'm not Cal, I'm a bear!" I corrected him.

He pushed me off. "No, you're not!"

"Yes I am, look!" I jumped up, hands out like claws. "RAWR!"

"Ahh!" Maven shrieked again, running away.

We continued chasing each other for a good amount of time. After a while though, we'd tired ourselves out and we both laid down next to each other panting.

"You're not really scary, Cal," Maven announced.

"I know, only monsters are."

Suddenly, Maven sat up.

"Mavey?" I rose as well.

"Not just monsters," he whispered. "She scares me."

"Who?" I didn't know what he meant.

I noticed his icy blue eyes grow wide with fear. "Uh-oh..."

I stood up and walked in front of him.

"Maveyyy? What is it?" I whined, waving a hand in front of his face.

He was whispering to himself, and I couldn't catch all of it. "I shouldn't have...she'll know...I didn't mean it...it won't happen again...promise!"

His eyes were shut tight, hands pressed to his ears.

Then, quickly as it happened, he stood up again, seemingly fine.

A Red servant came to get us a minute later, and Maven and I never spoke about that again.

...

fourteen and twelve years old

Maven and I sat, leaning against the wall of one of the barracks. We had just been training, and after, we lazily tossed a ball of fire back and forth.