vii: candlelight burning

"U-Uhm, s-should you a-appear in m-matching c-clothings, we have t-three in s-stock for the f-family," the tailor stuttered.

I pitied her. We went out shopping for clothes in the market earlier but when he found nothing that suites to his taste, we went back home with a grumpy duke. And now, the tailor called by Sir Juandre is shivering in fear because of the intense aura the duke is releasing.

"Show us," he said coldly.

I'm not gonna lie, even I am scared of him. Sitting beside him on the settee doesn't help.

The tailor took out a beautiful midnight blue set.

The evening gown, which I assumed is for me, has a heart-shaped neckline. It is adorned in white glitters shaped in an isotoxal stars with black diamonds in the center from the abdomen down to the skirt. It has a white belt covered in white glitters with a circle of black diamonds in the center. The belt extends to a black ribbon in the back. It also has a slit that reveals the left leg.

I gasped after seeing the gown. It has a nice fabric and it feels soft to the skin. "Is this the new trend?" I asked as I had never saw anything so revealing yet elegant before.

"Y-Yes, Your Grace," the tailor replied.

The small dress has the same design although it has a higher neckline and it is off-shoulders and has no slit.

The suite has also the same design although the isotoxal stars are only located on both shoulders. The front has two sets of white buttons from the neck down to the lower abdomen. Black and white diamonds are also scattered around the suite although there are hardly any.

I looked at the duke to see his reaction. He's still as stagnant as ever and he looked even more pissed. His reaction did not change since we went shopping in the market until now.

I flinched when he looked at me. "Do you still not like it, wife?" he asked me coldly, making me gasp. "I've been dying for you to choose a gown but you've been silent since we went shopping. If the design's still not up to your taste-"

"You want me to choose?" I asked in confusion.

He stared at me as if I've grown two heads. "You are my wife. Of course I want you to pick a cloth for me! Don't you do the same whenever you take Charlotte with you to social gatherings? You need to make sure our attires match with each other."

I blushed hard when I realized that the reason he's not buying anything is because I had not spoken a word and he thought I didn't like anything.

"So? What are your thoughts about the set?" he asked.

I smiled a little. "I-I love it," I said.

He sighed. "You don't have to choose it if you don't fancy it. We can just call another tailo-"

"No, Your Grace. I mean it. The design is fabulous. Besides, the dark blue color matches well with the insignia of the duchy," I said.

He nodded, hearing my comment. "Very well." He looked at the tailor who had now a big smile on her face. "We'll take it."

The birthday of the Crown Prince came and I am currently staring at my reflection in the mirror. The blue gown hugged my curves perfectly and I blushed thinking I looked good.

It was my first time trying on the dress and I'm glad I turned out looking fabulous. I turned around and frowned. It was also too late for me to realize that the dress doesn't cover my back.

I stared at the door of my chamber when the knob twisted. The head of His Grace peeked inside and our eyes immediately met. I blushed when his eyes assessed me from head to toe.