ix: in the arms of a brother

I woke up in the middle of the night with an arm wrapped tightly on my waist. I looked around me. The room is unfamiliar but the man sleeping beside me isn't.

I took his arm off of me before I hurriedly step out of his bed, although keeping careful not to steer the sleeping beast.

I looked at the wall and saw a ticking clock. It's one in the morning.

I took a deep breath before storming off the room. When my bare feet felt the hallway, I felt at ease. I looked around and that's when I realized that I was in the duke's chamber.

I gave myself no time to think of that thoroughly. I headed straight to my chamber. I took a photo album and took the paper I had been keeping to me all this time. I signed it and left it in my untouched bed. Its neatness will tell anyone I was not around for the night. I headed straight to Charlotte's room afterwards.

I find her still asleep in the position I left her at earlier. I gently tapped her cheeks until her eyes flutter open from a dream.

"M-Mama?"

"Hurry, child. We need to leave this place," I said quietly. "Take nothing but those dear to you. We cannot stay in this place any longer."

I saw confusion and sadness in her eyes but she did everything as I ordered.

After packing up, I lead her out the mansion silently. That's when I realized how silly out escape plan was. I didn't even prepare a carriage for our escape.

I looked at my daughter ashamed but her eyes are fixated somewhere and soon enough, the sound of hooves hitting the dirt echoed in the silence of the night.

I looked up and saw a familiar handsome face.

"Need a ride, ladies?" he asked.

"Sir Valerian," I uttered.

He smiled at me kindly before adjusting to his steed. "I can get you to Niriko. I am heading there right now. You can tag along. And if you're worrying about the horse, Hiro is a tough boy. I'm sure he wouldn't mind two beautiful ladies."

I reluctantly accepted his offer and made Charlotte climb behind him and me behind Charlotte. The horse, Hiro, whinnied a little before running.

The three hours ride in a chariot from the Vandecois to the Lirham was cut to two. The moment the county came into view I couldn't help but be emotional.

We got of the poor horse and I held Charlotte's hand as I walked into the door and knocked. I don't know who would open their door to a stranger when it's three in the morning but I hope someone's awake.

Fortunately, my brother is the one who opened the door. He has a grotesqued frown in his face but that disappeared when he saw me.

I don't know what he thought of when I appeared in his doorstep in tears while carrying a child in my arm but I know I looked pitiful.

The tears clouding in my eyes started falling as I ran to hug him. Despite his half-awake state, he embraced me back and patted my back softly.

"What happened?" he asked.

I stared at the poor sleeping face of my daughter. We decided to stay in my old room. Kuya offered Charlotte a chamber but she insisted to sleep with me which I didn't mind.

While lulling my daughter to sleep, I started telling my brother what happened, from the party, to the garden, to Charlotte not being his child at all.

"Naomi, did you divorce him?" he asked.

I felt guilt all of a sudden. He would now have to give up our mother's mine. Even though he's fine with it, I know it's still hard for him to let it go. Aside from that, I'm sure our family will be the center of the nobles' gossip because of the separation. My brother had to go through all of that because of me.