𝐢𝐯. a parade of death

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ 

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫; a parade of death

JUNIPER FELT SLIGHTLY LIGHTER at her acceptance of death. She realised that no matter what she does, it wouldn't mean anything because Juniper and Justice Hale were set up to die. Clear as water, clear as glass. 

And so, when Nadine harshly knocked on her door the next morning, Juniper didn't feel scared at the impending doom that was the Tribute Parade because it didn't matter. Nothing mattered anymore. Juniper was going to die and she was okay with that. 

So, with that in mind, Juniper got up easily, cracking her joints and spine as she stared at herself in the mirror. She fell asleep in her Reaping attire, the outfit in question being all wrinkled and creased from where she rolled over during her sleep. Her eyes were red from the crying yesterday with violet patches underneath. Her hair was messy and flying into her face. But Juniper didn't have the energy to fix her appearance because in the end, it did not matter. 

"Well, you look lovely."

As Juniper walked out of her room, which had taken her by surprise at how massive it was, being able to house nearly a quarter of District Ten, and into the dining cart, she saw the smug face that was Brent Higgins. He eyed Juniper with an amused smile, choking on his chortles as he studied her appearance. 

"Yes, thank you," Juniper snapped as she adjusted her eyes on the sight before her. 

Brent, Lucy, and Nadine were all sitting down at the wooden table, plates filled with breakfast foods before them. They all wore new clothing that was clean and fresh. Nadine, of course, wore the most absurd outfit that had the brightest shade of pink. Juniper had to blink numerous times to block out the highlighter colour that attacked her eyes. Justice was already sitting at the table, a plate filled with fruit in-front of him. He too was still in his Reaping attire.

"Have something to eat, Juniper." Lucy smiled at her slightly as she picked up a plate, setting it down. "You're going to need energy."

Slowly, Juniper agreed as she sat down across from the woman and beside her brother. If she was going to die soon, she might as well have a good meal. And so, Juniper picked up nearly everything that was in the little bowls that littered the table. Her plate was filled with an array of fruit, pancakes, and toast.

"So, the day will go like this," Nadine began to say as Juniper shovelled food down her throat. "We'll arrive at the Capitol, you'll meet your prep teams, get ready and polished—"

"I'm sorry. Polished?" Justice asked. 

"Don't interrupt." Nadine narrowed her eyes at him, instantly making the boy cower down. "Then you will have lunch with your separate stylists, get dressed, attend the Parade, and then we will have dinner."