Part 2: Chapter 8

"Mama, are you awake?" asked Islam, who was knocking on the door, waiting for Zaynab's approval to come in. She had woken up from an unconscious state and was taking a rest. She urged Firdausi to leave the house while she went for a sleepover at Flora's place.

"Come in, my girl," said Zaynab in her weak voice as Islam walked in with a cup of turmeric juice.

"How are you feeling now? You need to visit a doctor," she said, concerned, while Zaynab waved her off.

"I'm fine. You two should see a doctor, maybe a psychologist," she said as they both smiled.

"I'm sorry about earlier. I respect her opinion, but she's so immature, Mama."

"Look at you, starting again," said Zaynab, who was fed up, then sipped her turmeric juice.

"I'm not arguing, Mama. The man is just off track. Speaking of Firdausi, I'd like to ask you something."

"Go ahead."

"Have you found a place in your heart to forgive my father?"

She rolled her eyes and began, "That was a long time ago. You know, Firdausi reminds me of myself when I was eighteen, simple with good grades. Then I met your dad, Saleh. He was the alpha male back then, and everyone liked him so much. We got mysteriously drawn to each other after a school reunion when he gave me a lift.

He owns a Peugeot and fended for himself and his sister Farida. They were orphans, and he was hard-working. We were so close that he asked for my hand in marriage when I was nineteen, and I said yes because he had a small car parts business and was average. My family was totally against it. I was so young and in love that I was blindfolded.

My mother finally agreed, and we got married. He was my dream come true before everything changed. He started coming home late, blaming work. When I found out he was lying the first time, he hit me so hard. I know I shouldn't be saying this.

I remember what my mother told me on my wedding day, 'Don't run faster than your shadow. You're still young to make the right decision. Some days you'll have a daughter who will be like you, and you'll know how worried I am right now.'"

"She was partially right," said Islam, her eyes fixed on the story.

"I just hope that Firdausi doesn't make a mistake like me. But Khalid proved to me that love was special when I used to work in his company making coffee because I couldn't find work as a graduate. I took you to your Aunt Madina because I didn't know how to tell you how broken I was. Huda just got in the way, even though we used to be best friends.

I was twenty-five then, and he was forty-five, looking so handsome. A significant age gap, but that didn't matter. I didn't notice his feelings for me until he invited me to meet his mother. Your Goggo was so strict and partly against it. I was just a mere barista, you know. He was insistent, and that's why she approved. He showed me what true love is, not just roses and fluff."

"You're lucky to have him," said Islam.

"Yes, I am. He's the love of my life. Your father still has a little piece of my heart, but Khalid filled the void, actually."

"I'll talk to Firdausi and try my best to see if she changes her mind. I know she's just running her race without the finish line," said Islam, cuddling Zaynab on the soft bed.

"Is it bedtime stories?" asked Yasin, who crawled into bed and curled up next to Zaynab, who held both of them tightly.

"Where's Abba?"

"He's cleaning up the house," said Yasin, closing his eyes to rest, "is Firdo gonna be fine?"

"We'll talk to her," said Islam, as they all found serenity in the calm of the room.