Part 2: Chapter 29

"One, two, three, happy wedding anniversary!" cheered Sabrina, sitting on the fluffy bed, holding a bento cake with a lit candle next to Ali, who just woke up from sleep.

"Noor," he said casually but wore a big smile. "Did your Aunt put you up to this?"

"No, Aunt Tessie didn't. It's your seventh anniversary, I saw it in the calendar," she added, planting a kiss on his cheek.

"Thanks," he said, blushing.

"So now make a wish," she said, forwarding the cake to him.

"Make a wish, it's a superstition to make a wish before blowing a candle," he clarified.

"But it does come true in cartoons. Don't argue and just make a wish," she pouted.

"Okay, I wish to be with my Noor always and forever," he said and blew the candle before kissing her cheeks.

She held his hand, kissed it, then hugged him tightly. It was sad that she learned to look after herself even without care and could do the bare minimum to help him. Even though he was busy, he always saved some time with her.

"Okay, it's breakfast time," she said and walked him to the dining where she arranged a delicious open-faced sandwich by toasting the wheat bread, spreading a generous layer of peanut butter on top, and then adding some steamed broccoli, sliced carrots, and roasted potatoes on top for a nutritious and filling meal. She also arranged watermelon and bananas for crudites.

"You made a sandwich?" asked Ali in awe.

"Yes, Aunt Tessie was my mentor," she beamed proudly. Adjusting the alarm to rise early for a homemade breakfast at just six years old showcased her independence. Even at her young age, she needed a stool for that extra height boost.

"Hope you didn't injure yourself during the culinary adventure," he teased playfully, admiring her in her caramel pajamas, hair tied up in a scrunchie, and sporting frog-faced crocs. She resembled her mother so much; it brought a tear to his eye. Despite their arranged marriage, Suhaila was undeniably his soulmate. Destiny intertwined their lives long before they realized they were meant to be together. He followed the path society expected of him.

"Are those tears again? Let's dig in," she assumed responsibility, garnishing the sandwiches with a drizzle of honey and adjusting his seat.

"No tears here. Off to school?" he inquired, savoring the sandwich, finding it delicious but feeling the potatoes lacked that final touch. "You have the makings of a top-tier chef."

"Like my father. Today is literally Saturday so we have the house to ourselves," she mentioned between bites, omitting peanut butter due to her allergy, and then softly said, "Bismillah."

He felt immense pride in her, appreciating her cultural upbringing, evident in her independent prayer habits and outstanding academic and non-academic achievements.

"Bismillah," he echoed, continuing to eat. Summoning the courage to address the lingering question he often avoided, he asked, "Um Noor, do you want a second mother?"

"Hmmmm," she hummed, contemplating. "Yes."

"Do you want Aunt Taslim to be your mother?" he inquired, mouth full of sandwich.

"She's nice, but I need to think about it," she pondered, biting her lower lip with honey stains.

"If you find someone you really like and want her as a mom, let me know. I'll make an effort to like her too," he assured.

"Is that my wedding anniversary gift? Ummi and you used to give us gifts on your anniversary. You once got me a red wagon, and I loved riding it, especially when you pushed me in the park," she reminisced joyfully.