002

The fresh aroma of carnations, lavender, and roses was potent upon arrival at the little flower shop at the end of the road. It was a harsh contrast to the concrete jungle that she seemed to leave behind as she entered the building. 

It was as if someone had taken a patch from a field of wildflowers and trapped it between the reinforced glass walls of " The Bloom Room," Ellanora's main way of escaping whenever she was not visiting her Aunt at her farm. " Mae, a co-worker now best friend breathed out a sigh of relief as she anxiously glanced at Ella.

"Thank God, you're finally back," she began to undo her apron with speed. " I was almost late for that date," she said reapplying her lip gloss.

"Sorry about that the traffic back was crazy, so I just decided to walk," Ella said making her way to the backrooms where she put on her apron.

"Mhm, yeah totally," Mae whispered flatly, much too focused on putting on her lashes to care.

"God, I wished every time I came in I was happy as you, maybe I'd like this job."

"Hi to you too Mae, and why wouldn't I be happy this is the best job ever."

" I mean if manual labor is your thing then sure, but a city girl like me doesn't belong here," Mae said taking out her butt-length box braids from the tight ponytail it was on in.

" But at least I smell good when I leave," she said smiling into her compact mirror.

" I mean that's only one small plus side about this job, I mean we are getting to bringing life into this world with just our hands," Ella said as she put on her gloves.

" Well I know a bunch of funner ways to bring life into this world," Mae said slyly smirking at me.

" Not 'funner', you nitwit, it's more fun," Ella said as she began to start on a bouquet order.

Mae bowed her head in a mock manner " My apologies great 'green queen' for my non-proper English."

" You are forgiven, now get out of here it's already 12"

Mae scoffed jokingly, "Yeah ok whatever, I'm going," waving her hand dismissively.

Mae suddenly perked up, "alright, I'm all done, see you."

"Bye-bye."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was now 6 pm, and the sun was beginning to set, Ella was determined to finish this last set and store it for easy access tomorrow for delivery.

"Shit," she said as realization hit her, she was down two Camelia flowers, the centerpieces for the whole bouquet. And there was no way she'd be able to get any more till next season.

She looked down at her hands and decided to try something, ever since she ran out of pills from Dr. Sarkov, she had been experiencing pretty weird things. Such as the speedy growth of a couple of grass heads that she kept on the window sill of her small apartment.

She laid a couple of seeds into a pot, and stretched out her hand, hoping, praying, that something would happen. She struggled for a bit, her hand shaking as she tried to exert force. She was disappointed and put her now tired hand down.

'Nothing,' She sighed. 'What was I even thinking,' she pondered as she backed away from the flower pot, a sudden headache now washing over her.

She turned around moving lazily towards the sink to wash her face and her hands. Her headache slightly reduced with every splash of the cool substance touching her face.

When she returned, she was shocked at what was in front of her. Four fully grown camellias sprouted out of the ground of the flower pot, it seemed to have happened quickly as the stem of the flowers had broken the surface of the soil, and soil was littered everywhere.

" What the hell," she said as she ventured closer with caution, a broom in hand.

Ella looked around, " Hello!" she shouted. "Is anybody there," she said curiously. Even with her clear view of the entire store at her spot at the cash register, not a single soul was in the building that was now closed.

Besides herself.

She decided not to ask any more questions, as she began fearing for her life.

As she hastily reached for the backroom door to grab her stuff and leave, a burst of energy erupted from her hands. As she regained her composure she could see oak leaves scattered around her like confetti.

"AAHHH"! Ella exclaimed as she had now seen what had happened. There, spiraled around the door knob was a thick vine that seemingly came out of nowhere.

But Ella knew where it had come from.

And she was terrified.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys super sorry about how late i'm posting this, school has been hella hard.