Chapter 9: Miranna

I did not see much of Legolas the next day. I only see him during our mealtimes between coronation rehearsal and last minute detail confirmations, but speak no more than fifteen words altogether. Now, at dinner, I am elated to see him– until Velos. Even Legolas frowns at my steward's appearance.

"My lady?" Velos interrupts, standing to my right. "Would you like to take a stroll on the beach after dinner with my son, Velopen?"

I hide my scowling mouth with a napkin. "Why not the city? Besides, have I done enough walking for today?" I am still annoyed at him for berating me about the lack of elegance in my stride, though I understood why: so I do not look like an oaf at coronation. But that still did not stop me from wanting to strangle him with every click of his tongue.

"It is only a short stroll, my lady." He sighs and says defeatedly, "You may take the Mirkwood prince with you instead if he would like."

I sit up straighter in my seat. "Thank you, Velos. I believe it will clear my mind."

The servants do not serve us dessert after dinner and instead usher us to the back gates of the palace where the beach will meet us. Velos leads us as his son and the servants usher us from behind, only raising my suspicions. Why did Velos ask me to take a stroll outside? He would not dare assassinate me before the coronation. But what about the others? I am going to be a new ruler, after all. Much would not agree with this last minute heir, including them.

Legolas must sense my stiffness because he moves closer to me and begins warily eyeing our surroundings.

We exit the back entrance and the guards swing open the giant, azure gates to the beach.

"My lady," Velos steps aside, "your picnic."

A large, velvet tapestry, refashioned into a blanket, was sprawled near the shoreline. A teapot and two steaming cups of hot tea were perched in the middle of the blanket along with pastry platters laden with frosted cakes and sugared biscuits stood in the middle of the blanket.

"I hope you will forgive me for my behavior as of late today." Velos says shyly. "I wanted to make sure that everything will go smoothly, and that your forebears will be proud."

I nod. "You need not apologize, Velos. Thank you, for everything. I look forward to your guidance."

"I shall leave the two of you alone. Guards on watch will be nearby, so you needn't worry. Good night, my lady."

"Good night, Velos."

Legolas and I settle onto the blanket and sip tentatively from the teacups. Nothing bitter, nor tingling and numbing, so no poison. Only lavender and chamomile. I take a larger sip.

"Legolas?"

The elf prince bites into a frosted cake. "Yes, Miranna?"

I have no idea how to rule a kingdom, I want to say, but I do not want to look like a fool. If I am going to be taught lessons in royalty, I might as well seek guidance already. "As a member of royalty, what advice have you for a new ruler?"

He thinks for a moment before answering. "Watch where you step. And I mean both literally and figuratively. Do not tread a path that you cannot walk."

His words send a searing chill through me. I know he does not mean my ruling as queen. I drink as much tea as I can, but it does not warm the frost inside of me. 

As the grey clouds glide across the kingdom of Delmaris, maids knock at my door in an asynchronous rhythm.