Chapter Ten: The Ghost That Lingers

After watching the ball drop-in Times Square, the entire gathering erupted into cheers. While they toasted to a happy new year, I sat in the corner and sulked about another pitiful year.

Carter's family was infamous for their holiday hosting. Almost all holidays, especially the new year, were celebrated with a party at his house.

Arabella blew into the party favor beside me. "Happy New Year, best friend!" she screamed and wrapped me in her arms.

When she let go of me, I said in a tired voice, "Happy New Year to you too."

She frowned. She knew who was actually on my mind and had been the wet blanket on me all night.

"Come on," she said as she grabbed my hand. "Let's fix us a drink."

The kitchen was almost empty when we entered. All the guests were either in the living room watching the ball drop or outside roasting food by the fire. Carter had snuck out half an hour before to go meet with Tobias and had not yet returned.

"Wrenn, it's going to be all right. This year will be the best year you've ever had," she said as she rummaged through the cabinets for what was left to make a drink.

I leaned against the island and propped my chin in my hands. My stomach was twisting more violently since I had gotten off of the couch. I wondered if it could have been the new medicine Ty had put me on.

"I'm sure it will be," I said and watched her pull out a couple of plastic cups. "I can feel it."

She rolled her eyes. "Sure you do." She stopped for a moment and asked, "Do you feel okay tonight?"

I shook my head. "I'll be alright, though."

"Okay." She finished our drinks and passed me one. She lifted her glass and said, "Cheers to the new year," in her same distant voice she used when she was confused on what was happening.

The pungent taste of vodka and orange juice took me back to the previous New Year before that one. I can remember it vividly, the freshly fallen snow on the midnight ground and the aesthetic stars hovering above us. Mr. Williams had just arrived at Carter's house, alone and flecked with white snowflakes. When he walked in, he shook the flakes from his overcoat and hung it carefully on the hook.

"Mr. Williams, what are you doing here?" I asked when I spotted him walking down the hall.

"Same for you," he said with one of his eyebrows raised. "I'm a friend of Becky's, and I assume you are too?!"

I shook my head and giggled nervously. "Becky is Carter's mom."

"Oh, that does make sense." His eyes lingered on me for a moment. I could feel my legs quiver because I was dressed in what Arabella had chosen for me.

A man had joined us, and he appeared to be sober enough to know who Mr. Williams was and every detail about him. "Hey, Ben, where's your wife? I thought you were bringing her."

Mr. Williams smiled. "She wasn't feeling up to it."

"How unfortunate." The man said and laughed. "Have you had a drink yet?"

Mr. Williams shook his head. " I just got here, and I don't drink but thanks. Is there any food left?"

"Oh, yeah. Becky cooked three dishes full of her casserole," said the man as he grinned.

Mr. Williams looked down at me and said, "Excuse me for a moment."

After he went into the kitchen, I began on a mad search for Arabella or Carter. When I found them in his room playing on the computer, I burst into the room chanting, "Someone's here. Someone's here. How do I look?"