Chapter Fifty

Warning: Explicit Sexual Content

The winds blew in cold air from the north, chilling Lyra to the bone. At five in the morning, she was tired and wanted nothing more than to go back to bed and sleep the day away. She watched the ships pull up to the docks that quiet morning.

No one dared speak that day. Helena was next to her with her children, watching as they boarded all of her remaining belonging on the ship sailing towards Winterfell. Alicent was next to them. It was a kindness that allowed the woman to say goodbye to her daughter for the last time.

"You'll enjoy the north," she told Helena. "It's peaceful."

The girl didn't acknowledge Lyra, not that she had really expected her to - she had helped kill her siblings, after all. But, a small part of Lyra hoped that Helena had understood why it had to end the way it had. She hoped Helena didn't blame her and instead placed the blame where it belonged - on her grandfather.

"You'll like it there," Lyra continued. "My brother is a good man. He'll protect you and your children."

"The lone wolf dies, but the pack survives," Helena said. Her voice sounded almost like a song, lilting on the breeze.

Lyra was surprised at the words. She had heard her own father say nearly the same thing many times. It was an old northern saying intent on keeping the north together.

"That's right," Lyra said. "You won't be alone there. You have your children, and you have my brother's protection."

The former Queen frowned. "Not for long. One day my daughter will be taken to Kings Landing to marry, and I will never see her again."

Lyra frowned at the girl. "You'll see her again, I promise. She will be able to visit her home as much as she pleases."

"She will visit," Helena said. "But I will never see her again."

"Helena? What do you mean by that?" She asked. "Have you seen something in your dreams?"

Lyra wasn't oblivious. She knew Helena was what they called a dragon dreamer. But Lyra was terrified of whatever terrible future the young girl had seen.

Helena's head snapped to her like she couldn't believe what she had just been asked. Maybe no one had ever talked to the girl before about her gifts. Lyra, being raised in the north, knew there were many things beyond explanation. Dragon dreamers and wargs were only two of many magics hidden in the seven kingdoms.

"What did you see?" she asked the girl. "Tell me. I promise I will believe you."

"Winter is coming, My Princess. The long night approaches. A battle is on the horizon - the only battle that really matters."

"A war is coming?" Lyra said. "Can we stop it?"

Another war? Hadn't they just finished one? Would her family ever enjoy peace? Would she ever be able to sit and rest with her children and husband?

"You can't," Helena said, smiling at her. "But from your family line, a boy will come who can."

"A boy?" Lyra said, and she couldn't help but clutch her stomach. She wondered what the gender of her unborn child might be.

"He'll have to kill the boy to become a man. He will be a song of Ice and fire. The prince that was promised. But, It won't be for many years." The former Queen said. "You do not need to fear for your child."

"Things would have been different." The girl continued. Her eyes were glazed over as if she was seeing pictures in her head. "They were supposed to be different. More were supposed to die. The Targaryen line would have been almost completely diminished. But the gods, they changed their minds."