Chapter Thirteen

Hello Everyone! This is a new chap. I edited the chapter before and included a much longer scene between Baela and Lyra. Initially, I had greatly underwritten the character and quite honestly forgotten about her. I hope you read the chap before and enjoy it. I think it adds to the story.

________

Lyra left the garden fuming. How dare she be treated in that way. It wasn't like she had any control over her marriage. Baela may have been hurt, but she was acting like a child whose favorite toy had been stolen from her. When she reunited with Jace before dinner, she tried to be in a better mood. But it was to no avail.

"How were the gardens?" He asked, and she suddenly wanted to punch him for being so oblivious. Honestly, she was moments away from snapping. 

She sat down on their bed with as much decorum as she could pull together. "I will not lie. They were not what you expected."

He stood up from his chair. "What happened?"

She shook her head. "I do not wish to tattle and complain to you, Jacaerys."

She didn't want her husband to think that she was merely complaining about the girl. It was nothing. She would be able to handle her. 

"Jacaerys?" He asked. "Are we to be so formal? What happened?"

"She informed me that you will never love me and that it won't be long before you stray from my bed. Perhaps she is right."

"Lyra-" he started but was cut off. 

"Your grace," A servant said, coming in. "It is time to break you fast with your family."

"Of course," her husband said. 

All too soon, it was time for them to leave tn or dinner. The king had commanded all of his family members to break bread together. It was admirable how much he cared about his family, but also naive that he could pull them all together again. The two left their room, but Lyra knew their conversation was far from over.

"How good it is... to see you all tonight... together." The King slurred, standing up weakly from his chair. A week ago, the king had been weak, drugged out of his mind on the milk of the poppy, but he was still coherent, congratulating her on her wedding. Soon, he would die, and everything would change.

"Prayer before we begin?" Lyra frowned. Most everyone in the room except for her worshipped the old gods. Lyra hated it.

"May the Mother smile down on this gathering with love? May the Smith mend the bonds that have been broken for far too long. And to Vaemond Velaryon, may the gods give him rest."

No one at the table prayed for Vaemond that day; not even Otto Hightower could do it. The man had been stupid, entitled, and dangerous. He brought on his death himself.

"My grandson, Jace, has been married for a week, and Luke will marry his cousin, Rhaena, further strengthening the bond between our houses. A toast to the young Princes. May the newlyweds have a successful marriage with many children on their way," The King said, raising a glass.

Children. She hadn't thought about it. She would likely get pregnant soon, with how often she had Jace slept together. Was she ready, though, to be a parent? It was a large responsibility to raise someone. So many people she knew weren't ready for the job and ruined their children's lives for their own selfishness.