Chapter Seventeen

"Where is my sister." Cregan Stark asked, his voice booming around the great hall of Winterfell.

Jace didn't see why she loved the place so much. It was cold and dull, and there was nothing around for miles. But there was beauty in the snow-capped houses of Winterfell. The dark stone walls knitted tightly together sang with magic far older that the Targeryens themselves. The blood of the first men walked through these halls and would remain there for after everyone he knew was dead.

The place smelled warm. It smelled of fires roaring in a hearth of freshly cooked meats and stews. Dried herbs were hung in the halls, sending the smells of rosemary and sage wafting all around. It reminded him so much of Lyra. Comfortable and without a need to pretend to be anything else.

"Apparently, Lyra's in King's Landing, married to Aemond." He snapped. He really shouldn't have snapped. But he was tired from the journey and his constant wondering mind. All he wanted to do was rest. He wanted to go home.

"What did you say?" Cregan asked, standing from his chair.

"Your sister has apparently betrayed my family and me. We received a message from a servant in King's Landing that she married my uncle Aemond Targaryen."

"That prick?" Cregan asked, "I find it hard to believe that my sister would ever marry him willingly. Unwillingly, however."

"We believe the same, My Lord. But, there have been sightings of her alone with Aemond unaccompanied. We don't know what to think." Jace didn't want to picture the two of them together. It made him sick to his stomach.

But he wanted to know what he did wrong. What would make her betray him? Was it something he did? Something he said? Maybe, all of it was his fault.  Perhaps, she never got over his actions towards him in the beginning. He wouldn't blame her if she hadn't. But then, why would she pretend to forgive him? It was cruel.

"Why was my sister left alone in Kings Landing after the dangers that presented themselves to her?"

"She was poisoned at dinner, and we left for Dragonstone to receive our own Maester, who specializes in poisons." He said, "That night, my grandsire died, and the greens proclaimed Aegon as king. It was bad timing, terrible timing."

"Do you love my sister?" Cregan asked, stepping closer to him. There was something in his eyes that Jace couldn't recognize. Something that melted his heart.

"Yes, I do." He revealed. He knew it was true. He had loved her since the moment he found her covered in blood in the woods. He would love her even if she betrayed him. He would love her forever. Years could pass, and his heart and body would still burn only for her.

"What if the truth is revealed that she has betrayed you? What will you do?"

What would he do? Jace had never been good at holding in his temper. It released itself like fire from a dragon, sparing no one. Would he spare her? Could he spare her?

"My family will want her to pay for her treason." He whispered. Both Rhaenyra and Daemon would probably ask for her head. They would want her to be burned alive for her treason.

"Banish her to Winterfell."

"I'm sorry?" Jace asked, "Banish her?" He was utterly confused by the lord's words. They failed to make much sense.