03

Chapter 3
First impressions 

PRESENT DAY

"I regret to inform you that ms.L/n passed in her sleep this morning." 

Y/n walked over to Laila's side of the car, opening it she crouched down to the little girls height shaking her shoulders gently. 

"Wake up Laila, we're at school." 

Laila's long dark lashes batted as her eyes fluttered open, she wrapped her arms around Y/n's neck feeling her sister unbuckled her seat belt, already knowing Y/n would pick her up. 

Laila wasn't a morning person, and whenever Y/n was the one to drop her off the school this was the usual. Picking up her half-awake sister along with her very light bag, Y/n carried her over to the gate on the playground where the kindergarten kids were lined up with their teachers. 

She gave the teacher a soft smile, mumbling a good morning as she placed the little girl in the  teachers arm. 

The teacher lightly chuckling also used to the routine of Laila getting to school barley conscious only to exploded with energy in the middle of the day. 

 She was about to turn around and leave when she suddenly felt her little sister call out her name. 

"Yes?" She said, bending down slightly to be eye level with her sister. 

"When can I go see mommy?" 

Y/n forced up a smile, pinching the little girls cheek gently to help wake her up. 

"Soon." She lied, turning around she didn't look back as she got back into her car. Speeding off she didn't want to waste another second trying to get to the hospital as quickly as she could. 

Her worst fears came true this morning when she got the phone call. 

Her mother passed away, and she never even woke up from her coma. Y/n never got to talk to her since the day she was brought to the hospital, she had so much to tell her. 

Now she was gone. 

Sitting in the hospital room Y/n didn't even want to pull back the blanket that was pulled over her mothers face. She'd just finish talking with the nurse concerning her mothers life insurance along with the final payment of hospital bills. 

Y/n leaned over in her seat, looking at her mothers bed she noticed the hand that peaked out from underneath the blanket. 

Blinking back her tears Y/n adjusted the sheet so it was no longer visible, pushing back the urge to grab onto her mothers hand. She knew if she did she wouldn't be able to let go, she knew if she pulled back the covers she'd refuse to leave. 

The last couple hours have been far too stressful for the 19 year old girl, and she could feel her blood pressure raising through the roof. 

Feeling her burner phone vibrate in her pocket, she pulled it out without even checking the number, her eyes still glued on her mothers unmoving figure. She sniffled as she opened the phone and pressed it to her ear. 

"Yes." She spoke first, her voice so scratchy it sounded like she'd been balling her eyes out for hours despite her efforts to hold everything in. 

"Where are you right now?" Hange's voice spoke in a hushed tone from the other end of the phone. 

"I'm at the hospital, my mom died." Y/n replied, hearing the Hange sigh and apologize for her loss but Y/n didn't even know how to respond to it. She felt like her world was crumbling right now, just yesterday as she sat in this room everything was finally starting to head in the right direction.