4. abomination of nature.

CHAPTER FOUR // 68 days after the fall

ABOMINATION OF NATURE.

Camaraderie. It wasn't something Scarlett was used to in the dog eat dog world she came from.

The only time teamwork was ever a part of her life was when she and her aunt were clawing their way into the offices of casting directors back towards the beginning of her career. Or when they were staying up together into the late hours of the night perfecting the monologue that might just give her her 'big break.' And even then, it was more like a General barking commands to her Private. Scarlett might as well have saluted her.

But on day 68 after the fall, your Aunt Scarlett partook in real, authentic camaraderie.

It was at the expense of Glenn's sanity, but it still made a super big impression on her.

You'll see what I mean.

     "Blessed be God, Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Praise be to Him, for the gift of our brother Otis."

Hershel's voice was calm and steady against the wave of grief that the funeral brought; a Bible in his hands. Everyone stood solemnly around the cairn they'd created, each taking a turn to lay a rock of their own, one by one. Those who had hats clutched them in their hands out of respect.

Scarlett wondered how the new group felt attending the service, since most of them had never even met the man it was for. Even she felt out of place being there, and had been living with Otis for the past two months. Still, each of them had shown up.

"For his span of years, for his abundance of character. Otis, who gave his life save a childs. Now more than ever, our most precious asset. We thank you God, for the peace he enjoys in Your embrace. He died as he lived, in grace. Shane, will you speak for Otis?"

All eyes snapped over to the former cop, who merely stared off into the distance and then quickly at his shoes; flickering eyes unable to meet Hershel's. "I'm not good at it. I'm sorry." he muttered, clearly not wanting to speak on the behalf of a practical stranger.

"You were the last one with him. You shared his final moments. Please. I need to hear. I need to know his death had meaning." Patrica implored through her weeping, tears spilling ceaselessly from her sad eyes; Maggie's hand on her shoulder.

Eyes back on Shane— now he couldn't say no.

"Okay." he shifted nervously, tears of his own threatening to appear as he inhaled shakily; preparing himself. He was still looking anywhere other than the Greenes. "We were about done. Almost out of ammo, we were down to pistols by then. I was limpin', it was bad. Ankle all swollen up." He paused, voice hardening to ease its sudden wavering. Still, it cracked powerlessly here and there. "We've gotta save the boy. See, that's what he said."