4

Elijah's pov
Her words hurt. I do love her. I've never truly stopped. But I can't help the way I've started to feel about Hayley as well. She told me to go to Hayley. And I'm stupid and here I am. Hurting the woman I'd wake up crying for at night. The woman id often turn my emotions off because the memory of her hurt so badly. The woman id often step into the Sun for but my family brought back from the edge.

What does she mean she's died over and over again for 1000 years? Because she didn't give us up? She found us before? My wife. I'm hurting my wife. But Hayley and I have been through a lot together. Hayley steps next to me and asks "whats going on Elijah?" "What do you mean?" I ask her. "You're with me but it feels...empty. It's not like it was before" she says. I tell her "my wife just came back after 1000 years of being presumed dead. I'm sorry I'm..." I pause seeing her. My god she's beautiful. Everyone has eyes on her causing silence. She's being accompanied by kol and klaus. "Excuse me" I reply and ask "can I cut in" as the music starts again and she starts to dance with klaus. He chuckles "I don't think she'd like that Elijah" I look at her and even underneath the makeup she put on I can see her tiredness and agony.

I did that. My actions are causing that. "Please" I beg her and she avoids the eyes on us and nods and klaus hands her to me. I guide her and she asks "what do you want Elijah?" Her voice fired and pained. "You've been avoiding me" I point out. "It's better that way" she sighs. "For who? Because not seeing you hasn't been easy on me" I reply spinning her slightly "for me Elijah. It's easier for me. And it looks easy to me when you have her tongue down your throat at every turn or I hear you two. It hurts. Not seeing you makes it slightly easy on me and my heart. So yes I've avoided you" she replies. I didn't have sex with Hayley. "Hear us? My love you've got it all wrong-" I start "I'm not yours Elijah. You've made that clear. And it's okay. Really." She sighs. "You've got it all wrong. I didn't sleep with her. I told you I just needed time to figure this situation out. I wouldn't do this to you" I explain. "But kissing her is okay? Taking her out on dates? More? You're figuring shit out but dating her and not even acknowledging me" she replies. "You've been avoiding me!" I say to her. "Because it fucking hurts Elijah. Every day every second, every hour it hurts. Seeing the way you look at her and dote on and kiss her hurts! You chose her. It's okay it's been 1000 years. I have no right to feel this way but to me we were just together days ago and married and happily. And I woke up and it's all taken away from me and you're with another woman and I'm told it's been 1000 years but to me it feels like it's been a week. Maybe more. You've had 1000 years to live and move on and love again but I don't and did not have any of that. I'm just here being told my husband doesn't love me anymore and is with another woman and being shown it right in front of me" she snaps.

"And it's not even your fault lijah. It's not." She continues. I wipe the tear that falls "I'm sorry" I tell her and she replies "you're happy and that's all that matters" and with that she leaves and I watch her go. I go to follow this time but I'm stopped by klaus