Part 10 - The Gravemind

The Spartan II slowly began opening his eyes, feeling his armor scrape the ground as He looked below him to see... He was being dragged by the Flood Tendril. He tried to resist, squirming a little as the tendril tightened.

Jen began. "I'll try to find a way out, hold on!"

"Don't bother. Nowhere to go now. We agreed to this."

The two were raised, and held beside a familiar figure, as John and Floyd met eyes for a second. The room was filled with flood presence, and what they originally thought was a Flood Support slowly lowered, and began... "Looking" at them?

Jen spoke, as the Spartans stared at the massive creature. "What... Is that...?" And to the fear and surprise of everyone there.... It spoke.

"I.... I am a monument to all your sins." The creature began lowering another tendril, one which carried an Elite. The elite resisted quite heavily, and as he was placed besides the Spartans, Chief spoke.

"Relax. I'd rather not piss this thing off."

The elite looked to his left, his eyes widening... And then narrowing in rage. "Demons."

Looking over the elite, both Spartans could recognize the Ceremonial armor. But what surprised them is that the armor was a dead ringer for tapes they saw from an old ship named the Spirit of Fire. The armor of someone titled "The Arbiter." Both assumed, this was the next Arbiter.

The creature first brought John in close. Staring. "This one is Machine and nerve. And has his Mind Concluded."

John didn't respond, staring back at the beast. Floyd was admittedly worried in this moment, but what surprised him is... Chief wasn't. His hands were relaxed, his remaining posture at rest, and he himself seemed calm.

The Beast brought him back and pulled The Arbiter in close. The Arbiter resisted much more, so the Beast flipped him upside down. "This one is only Flesh and Faith, and is the more Deluded....."

After placing the Arbiter back, he pulled Floyd Forwards. "This one is cracked, the weight of the world he shares beginning disrupt the Metal within the Man...."

As he began bringing the Spartan back to his 'place', the Arbiter spoke again. "Kill me or Release me Parasite. But do not waste my time with Talk."

"There is much talk.... And I have listened. Through Rock, and Metal... And Time.... Now I shall talk... And you shall listen...."

The beast seemed to raise a "Finger" to the trio, which had a prophet attached to it. Another raised... Which contained an Oracle. "Greetings. I am 2401 Penitent Tangent. I am the Monitor of Installation 05."

"And I am the Prophet of Regret-"

The monitor turned to see the Spartans, approaching between them. "Reclaimers? Here? At last. There is much to do. This facility must be activated if we are to control this outbreak!"

"Stay where you are! Nothing can be done until my sermon is complete!"

The Ball approached the Prophet, staring him in the eye...? Eyes? Whatever. "Not true. This installation has a successful utilization record of 1.2 trillion simulated and one actual. It is ready to fire On Demand."

"Of all the objects our lords leave behind, none are as useless as these Oracles! They know nothing of the great journey!"

The ball seemed to get angry, as 2401 approached him closer now. "And you know nothing of containment! You have demonstrated complete disregard for the most Basic protocols!"

The Beast interrupted them. "This one's 'containment'.... " it visibly shivered, quickly looking between them. "And this one's 'great journey' are the same.... Your prophets have promised you escape from this doomed existence.... But you will find no Salvation on this Ring...." It slowly lowered both figures back down to where they came from, eyeing the Trio closely, mainly the Arbiter. "The ones who built this place knew what they wrought. Do not mistake their intent.... All will perish, as they did before."

Chief chimed in, looking at the Arbiter "this thing is right. Halo is a weapon."

And a second later, so did Floyd. "Your prophets are making a mistake."

The Arbiter stared back "your species already destroyed one of the Sacred Rings, Demon. It will not harm another."

The Creature spoke again. "If you will not hear the truth, I will show it to you....... There is still time to stop the key from turning. We must first find it."

It lifted chief First. "You will search one likely spot." Then the other Pair. "You two will search the other. Let an alliance form between your people's, even if temporary. For the fate of us all lays in the Balance."

Floyd and the Arbiter eyed each other, then back to the Creature.

"Fate had us meet as Foes... But this ring shall make us BROTHERS.... " With its final words and orders spoken, the Beast darted the trio into the Darkness, and teleported them to where they needed to be.