Chapter 15

Nathan had eventually found me by the time my tears subsided. I stayed in that closet for an hour, thinking of what Aaron was doing or feeling when I heard Nathan slump down on top of the door. Both of our backs stayed on the door, opposite each other.

"El, please come out," he groaned. "You've been in there too long."

"I'll be the judge of that," I retorted. In reality, it was high time for me to come out. I was unbelievably hungry, and I had been drinking sink water that was used for mop water.

"This isn't funny anymore," he growled, and I could see his mask of irritation painted perfectly on his face. White knuckles or clenched fists were usually accompanied, but not all of the time.

"I didn't think it was," I responded. I decided to mess with him as a smile turned up the corners of my lips. "Let's play a game."

"You have got to be kidding me," he sighed exasperated. He let out a huff, which led me to believe he wanted to laugh despite the situation.

"Do you want me to come out or not?" I asked playfully. "If you can guess how many fingers I'm holding up, I'll come out."

"Two," he said directly.

"I haven't held my fingers up yet," I cut him off. I flicked up five fingers. "Now guess."

"Two."

"No." I held up eight fingers.

"Ten."

"No." I put up three.

"Three," he heaved.

I scrunched my face, and just for the sake of the game, slowly put up my pinkie finger. "Nope," I smiled, popping the 'p'.

I felt his weight lift up off of the other side, and I was alone for a few minutes. Suddenly, I heard the doorknob jiggle. The door fell back, and I fell straight down at Nathan's feet without the support of the door.

"Why didn't you just do that earlier if you wanted me out so bad?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Sitting seemed like a better option after looking for you for an entire hour," he said in monotone. "Now, please get up."

"You can't make me," I said childishly.

"On the contrary," he grunted. He bent over and swung me off the floor, so that I was slung over his shoulder. "I can."

"Nathan!" I squealed. "You have to stop doing this," I said, beating my elbows into his back. "Put me down!

"Hey Elisa, how many fingers am I holding up?" He asked, suppressing a laugh.

"You're not even holding up any fingers!" I flicked his ear, irritated.

He opened the door to his room and threw me back down on his bed. I kicked him at the first possible chance I got, but he seemed to be unaffected by it.

"So you want to fight again?" He asked raising an eyebrow. I shook my head vigorously, but he pulled me up by my wrists. "No, you showed signs of violence. Lesson time."

He stood on the opposite side of the room, on the blankets and pillows, while I stood on the other side. He told me to run and knock him down.

"Are you crazy? You're ten times bigger than me!" I said, which wasn't exactly true. I was eye level with his chest, so I still couldn't knock him down.

"So, when you're trying to escape, and there's a giant guy in your way, you're going to give up?" He questioned. I responded with a pitiful 'no' mumbled underneath my breath. "Then knock me down."