Growing closer

Tight your little hand was held by your mother. She was making sure you didn't get lost.

With your free hand, you scratched the collar of your dress. You weren't used to clothes.

It was so itchy!

Your father laughs and pats your head.

You grin up at him.

Your little family is one of many in this ocean of land-dwellers. No one would suspect anything.

With big eyes you let your parents lead you through the festive land dweller home.

There was food, music, and games!

Things you have never seen. It was so different than when your people celebrate important dates.

Children run around laughing. Men cheery drunk many cups of ale. Women talked, and gossiped with each other.

Young men asked young women to dance with them at the plaza in an enchanting circle, where they switched partners, twirling around and finding each other again.

Laughing you pointed at it and your father got the hit.

He took you in his arms, twirling you around.

You giggled happily and heard how your mother was clapping in tune with the music for you both.

You could see that some land dweller, mostly older women, watched you and your father dancing away, cooing at you two.

You did blush a bit, but you wouldn't stop.

Your father picked you up and throw you high up. You heard the worried gasp of the land dwellers, but you were used to and had faith in your father.

He caught you, putting you down on the floor.

The music got more energetic.

You gripped one of each hand of your parents so that you three could dance together.

It was so much fun to get twirled around by your mother and your father.

It was heartwarming seeing how they danced with each other, emotions you didn't understand in their eyes, yet you wanted that someone looked one day at you this way.

This look was so amazing.

With a last big twirl the song ended, you laughed gleefully and your parents took you in their embrace.

That's when you saw him.

He was all alone in a corner of the plaza, like a lost little lamb.

He looked at you with big green eyes, as if you were something otherwordly. You didn't know why you blushed.

You saw how he seemed to give himself a pep talk and walked slowly up to you...