Chapter 14 - Our hideout

~ Max Mayfield POV ~

I notice my heartbeat slowing down again as I walk further away with Jane to what looked like the forest. "Are you okay? You seemed afraid before. I promise my dad is very nice. He may look scary, but I promise he is a big teddy bear." Jane explains as she led the way through the forest. "Yeah sorry, he just caught me off guard. That's all." I explain as unbothered as possible. The truth is that since Neil and Billy came into my life I've been terrified of any male figure in my life. Although I know not everyone is like them, but I just couldn't help it. Maybe that's why I also felt more attracted to female's in general. "I'm sorry he scared you like that." she states as she leads me further into the forest as I held my skateboard in my hand. "It's fine. I just woke up so I was a bit fuzzy. But I'm good now. Are we almost there yet?" I ask to quickly change the subject. I felt the anxiety and fear of Neil and Billy lurking in the back of my mind. I just wanted to forget them for a moment. And I knew exactly how I'd do that. But first we had to arrive at the hideout. "Not far from here. It's around that big tree. It's Will his hideouts he build with his brother. He called it Castle Byers. It's pretty impressive. Now it's turned into a hangout spot for the party." Jane explains as we walk around the tree as I see a little hut in the distance. "Cool. I used to build ramps back in California. The fast It went the better. I have a lot of scars left from those stunts." I chuckle as I took a closer look at the Castle Byers. "So you like building things too? I always really wanted to build something too, but I only ever build a diorama for school." Jane chuckles as she enters the little hut. "You never build a fort or something dumb when you were little?" I ask as I look around the hut as I eye a lot of drawing and comics. "No I am not from here. Were I come from we didn't have the option to build stuff like that." Jane vaguely explains. I was intrigued by the mystery behind how she worded that sentence, but also knew she said it like that for a reason. So I decided to let it slide for now, since she also didn't question me about my reaction earlier. "You could always build something now. You're never to old to create." I shrug as I look through one of the comics that was laying around.

"Maybe you could build something again too, but then here in Hawkins. Like your own hideout?" Jane suggests as she looks at me with a smile. I face her with a grin. "That's actually not a bad idea." I reply as I lay down the comic. It would be perfect actually. I could hide from my parents in there. I could hide so much stuff I wasn't allowed to have there too, like my comics, my Jason mask, my dagger I got from my dad- weed and booze. I could just escape there without them being able to find me straight away in Jane her house. I got excited by the idea that I wanted to start right away. "Will you help me?" I ask Jane when I meet her eyes. "Really? You want me to help you? I'm not sure if I'm that helpful. " She asks with twinkling eyes. "You said you never build something before and you wanted to try right? This is the perfect opportunity. It could be our party hide out." I grin as I nudge her softly. I could use the extra hands with the limit time I had to build it and to be honest, I wouldn't mind Jane her company. Besides, I could just make my school work at night and use the excuse to go to Jane so we can actually work on the hideout. It's like a perfect plan. The only downside was that it was literally freezing and that it could snow like- any minute. That's how cold it was. But if we worked hard we would warm up right? Besides I didn't mind the cold that much as it resulted in a perfect hiding spot. But now to find the perfect spot. One that no one could find easily. Even Jane her friends.

"Then I'm honored!" Jane smiles. "I might know where we can get some materials from. And my dad has a lot of tools we could use. He used to always build traps and such." Jane explains. I frown slightly. "Traps? Like, for animals?" I ask a bit confused. Jane her eyes move from me to the ground and back. "Sure." She replies as she gets out of the hut again. I chuckle as I found Jane quite interesting. She was different, you could tell. There was something mysterious about her and I want to find out more about her. She was intriguing. "You know Hawkins well. Is there a spot that's hard to find? Somewhere no one really comes around. But close enough to get there by foot- or by skateboard." I explain as I follow Jane out of Castle Byers. "There is this abandoned junkyard.-" Jane starts as she looks at me. "That sounds great actually." I reply as I meet her eyes. "It has a lot of materials. But I wouldn't build your hideout IN the junkyard. My friends know it's there. So maybe a little further away? But close enough to get stuff from the junkyard for your hideout." Jane suggests. I nod. "Our." I add. She looked at me with a tilted head. "Our Hideout." I state with a slight smile. Her lips curl up in the biggest smile as she looks at me.