Chapter Forty Seven

"Oh my goodness, are you Felix?" A 50 year old lady asked, and dropped some paper grocery bags on the counter. She was practically a older version of Zain; they looked almost identical. Except that this version of them had wrinkles from smiling so much, and eyes like soft sandal wood. I smiled and nodded, ignoring Zias fatal glare.

"Y-yes!" I said and forced and smile. "Are you Zian's older sister?" Good, I was remembering my training. She laughed, and put her hand on my arm. It took a god level of strength to not pull it away.

"How sweet. No, I'm Mi-Zains mother." She smiled, but the man behind her grunted. He was thin- painfully thin, and had a thick head of black hair. His skin was sickly gray. "And this is Zains father." I fought the urge to wrinkle my nose. They seemed like polar opposites. "Have you met Tommy and Alzero?"

"Yep, he has! Now, we were just on our way out-" Zain said, and tried to push me out, but their mom blocked my path.

"No! Stay! I want to meet your boyfriend! Sit, sit!" She said. "Haviam, back me up on this."

"Really Ms. Pyerer, I don't think that I should stay if it's too much trouble." I said. Zains mother seemed nice enough....... Though, should I trust Zia?

"No. Stay. I really want to meet you. Besides, you can call me Emily." Emily said. She smiled a nice smile. A smile that if she were a girl my age I would have fallen for her instantly. A smile that made me weak in the knees and made me want to do whatever Emily would want me to do in a split second. A smile like Zains.

"Fine." Zain said, and flopped down in a chair. Mr. Pyrer had disappeared somewhere, and Zia was still glaring daggers at both Zain and I. I sat.

"So....." Emily said. "How did you meet? How long of you been together? I'm so curious! Zains never been in a serious relationship like this before." It was nice that Emily wanted to know these things.

"We met.... I don't honestly remember." Zain said.

"I went to my fort in the woods. I was trying to learn to fly and when I got to the fort, and then I realized something was off," I recalled. "and I checked the upstaires and you were there. It was so awkward for me, I was so nervous about if I was going to make you not like me. Do you remember that?"

"Yeah," Zain said. A tiny smile twitched on their face. "And you didn't know what pheromones were. And you didn't know that you could dye your wings!"

"Shut up," I said, blushing. I leaned my head against theres. I loved them. Zains mother smile wavered for a split second.

"So, are you a fledgling?" Emily said. She started blinking more often, and her eyes seemed a little.....calculating. Not easy going anymore. Cold.

"Yeah, but he's a Celestial. And Owen is his guardian. So.....you know, don't do anything." Zia said. Emily seemed to get angrier and angrier by the second. But when she looked at me, it was full of.....pity. Mixed in with anger and sadness, yes.

"I'm so sorry, Felix." She said. I stood still, not sure what to do. Emily reached out for my hand. "I'm sorry you have to live this life."

"MOM!" Zia said, and jumped out of her chair. Zain got up, but Zia held out her hands. "Fucking try me."

"Zia! I understand that you have a certain opinion on this, but now is not the time to-"

And then. It. All. Stopped.