Chapter III: Curse

Despite her usual nocturnal activities, Wednesday regards sleep as a sacred sabbath that should be cherished when taken. For Hypnos is the twin brother of Thanatos for a reason: sleep and death, borne of the same blood of Nyx. A calm, gentle darkness, one which blankets souls for a third of their lives, the other which blankets souls forever. Hence why when she sleeps, she is certain to lose herself in that black abyss completely and utterly.

This is also why, in the absence of the family tree Ichabod, she prefers a fully mechanical alarm clock. Electric alarms simply don't do the trick.

Upon hearing the percussion of her early alarm, Wednesday's eyes snap open. Then, there is a growl, and then the ringing is muffled, and then there is a crumpling, cracking sound, and then it stops.

Wednesday turns in her bed.

Enid is dozing back to sleep, the consumed remains of her clock currently being chewed upon and swallowed. A spring bounces out from between her several rows of teeth.

Utterly captivating, if not for the fact that Wednesday is only inches away from her drooling face, and Enid's cuddling is like the deadly embrace of a boa constrictor.

"Enid."

"Wblurgh...?"

More clockwork spills out of Enid's mouth.

"Let go."

"No."

Enid whines, nuzzling her head into Wednesday's chest and drooling all over her nightwear. Wednesday picks up a shattered piece of glass from her clothing and inspects it in the morning light.

"I have to go to therapy today."

An annoyed snort, and the sound of active chewing and fine gears being reduced to scrap. Ah. She's noticed.

"For what? "

"Appearance's sake," Wednesday allows venom to saturate her tone, when she says this. She truly does despise that office, and she abhors the fact that she cannot simply stay forever and die in the suffocating comfort of Enid's arms.

"Ugh. Well, if you're up, I'm up, let's go," Enid grumbles, and she swallows the clock fully as she lets go and stretches awake.

And so they start their day. Before she leaves, though, Wednesday winds up her tenth replacement clock. To be prudent.

Valerie Kinbott is exceptionally good at asking aggravating and obtuse questions. So much so, in fact, that Wednesday feels the need to correct her.

"I do have someone. She is," mine, mine, mine, mine, thinks Wednesday, ravenously, greedily, like a man drowning happily in the desert, "my significant other."

"Oh? I'm so happy to hear this, Wednesday. I hope it helps you actively work on becoming considerate of another's feelings."

"I am. I plan to lead her into dangerous areas for my own amusement, alienate her family entirely, and then dominate her time with no room for outside influences whatsoever."

Dr. Kinbott pauses, her neutral smile pursing into a flat line.

"This doesn't... seem very considerate."

"On the contrary," Wednesday crosses her legs, "it's exactly what she wants out of our relationship."

"Is it, or are you imposing yourself over what she wants?"

"In a healthy relationship," Wednesday says slowly, like explaining something to a small child, "they are one and the same."

Not that it really matters. God forfeited Enid's soul to Wednesday the moment he put them in the same universe.