Chapter II: DNA

Enid gets up slowly from her computer.

It's almost a dream, this. Seeing Wednesday again. Gomez and Morticia are behind her, but her eyes are on one girl. She feels like she's floating upwards as she rises from her seat, and the world crumbles away as she can only grasp onto her ruler, her temptation, her end, her everything.

"The Addams curse is fatal," Gomez once told her, during those dreamlike two months, when she asked him what love is, "in that it takes your life, forever and always. And there is no sweeter ambrosia than that sweet death, that love."

Although Addams isn't her last name yet, Enid knows she's cursed, and there is no cure. Like a zombie infection, they'd have to blow her fucking brains out to make it stick, and make sure to double-tap, too. And even then, she'd still haunt Wednesday as a ghost, if only to never let her go.

Offhandedly, she notes that Wednesday has bangs now, and it's the hottest thing ever.

Enid holds a hand out, and Wednesday gives her own without any verbal communication, and she is in love, she is in love, goddamn it, she is in love. It takes all her willpower to not kiss Wednesday's knuckles, if only because it's in front of her parents and in front of Principal Weems, and this is supposed to be their first time meeting ever, if only to keep up the facade.

"Howdy, roomie," Enid says, once more breathless, "I'm Enid. Welcome to Ophelia Hall."

"Don't ever call me roomie again." Wednesday says sharply, but her voice cuts with a lilting flair, and Enid knows she's playing, "Or I'll cut you."

"I'd love that, actually."

She half-heartedly reprimands herself internally, because Christ, Enid, flirting with this girl you just met? Super out-of-character. Principal Weems clears her throat awkwardly, looking between Morticia and Enid and Wednesday.

"We've, ah, special-ordered your uniform. Enid, please take Wednesday to the registrars —"

"Of course, anything," she blurts out uncontrollably.

"— to pick it up. And her schedule. Thank you," Weems finishes slowly, scrutinizing Enid. She's a step up from the camp counselors, it seems, but that's a low bar. She at least knows Enid's in love, but shit, everyone will know within the first twenty-four hours, if Enid has anything to say about it.

She's so hyper focused on Wednesday that she barely hears Morticia speak.

"Gomez and I would like to accompany them on their walk, Larissa. If that's alright. We're just feeling so nostalgic, returning here."

The tour starts with warm hugs and "you've blossomed so beautifully!" and questions about how she's doing, and Enid wonders why she was ever nervous about meeting the Addams again.

She suspects it's her own parents. So afraid to lose her again, unaware that if they don't let her go to whom she belongs to, they'll lose her in more ways than just a hostage situation. Years of drilling and trauma and therapy will make a girl anxious, even to the point of questioning if her kidnappers were actually real people, let alone ever truly loved her.

All of it gone within the next thirty minutes. The Addams are real, and of course they love her. And she loves them back.

Especially...

"So, the rumors came in. You killed a kid?"

"Two, and not quite. The tightrope between prison and boarding school is perilous, but I managed it."