Chapter V: Love

"Dangerous. Shortsighted. Utterly irresponsible! I'm so disappointed in both of you. Especially you, Wednesday!"

If there's one thing that Enid dreads, it's when Ms. Thornhill's mad at her. She's the nice teacher, and Enid's favorite teacher at that. So it just feels extra bad when she gets called out by her dorm mom.

It usually takes a lot to get the nice teacher angry, and... yeah. Last night was a lot. But, man, she'd do it again in a heartbeat. Being able to let loose, and oh, the things Wednesday said! And did! Enid could write, like, ten billion love songs, and it wouldn't be enough to keep all her feelings. Internally screaming! Out of joy and happiness!

"Enid Sinclair, are you listening to me?!"

Okay, wait, she's in the middle of something.

Mask on.

"Yes! Sorry. I just... Please don't put all the blame on Wednesday," Enid pleads, her eyes downturned, "It was partly my idea."

Ms. Thornhill crosses her arms.

"And what part of it seemed reasonable to you? The part where you scare everyone to death, or the part where you completely ignore your health accommodations, which the school itself pays for, might I add?"

"Health accommodations". More like "jail time for something Enid can't control". Ms. Thornhill doesn't get it, none of them do. They just see a big bad wolf and think they need to contain it. Nevermind the fact that every other werewolf is just as deadly — no, Enid's the one that to be fixed.

Enid doesn't let any of her thoughts show, though. She plays up the pity party.

"I'm still a werewolf, even if I'm different! I — I just wanted to go out and hunt, and do what I'm supposed to do. I don't want to spend every full moon in a dungeon for the rest of my life," Enid rambles purposefully, leaning forward, "So yeah, I helped out, but — I just... please."

Ms. Thornhill does her best to look stern.

"Do you have anything to say in your defense, Wednesday?"

"Enid is my best friend and girlfriend," Wednesday drones, meeting Ms. Thornhill's eyes, "so I will do everything in my power to make her happy. I also find your methods of imprisonment inhumane, and more importantly, sloppy."

"Well, that's one way to put it," Ms. Thornhill sighs, standing more at ease now, "Luckily there were no reported injuries, and the lycanology counselor seems to agree that you have more control over your transformation since Wednesday specifically isn't hurt at all."

Thornhill sits at her desk, opposite of her and Wednesday's seats. In doing so, she doesn't notice the twin smiles that flash onto both Enid and Wednesday's faces before they disappear just as quickly.

"Principal Weems and I spoke, and we decided that neither of you would suffer the usual suspension. However," Ms. Thornhill presses her fingers together, "You'll be doing a week of community service with supervision, as well as taking on extra responsibilities during Outreach Day. In addition, we'll be updating the security on your lockup, Enid."

Enid's recovering mood is completely crushed by pure frustration. Community service with people breathing down her neck. More time wasted on Outreach Day. More time locked away. More time away from Wednesday, just when she came back, just when she came for Enid.

She can feel her own claws digging into her clenched fists.

"I assume you'll have us pander further to the mindless public?" Wednesday bites out.

"You'll be participating in the Joseph Crackstone unveiling ceremony. Enid, you'll be preparing a heartfelt speech about the values of Outreach Day. Wednesday, you'll be playing the cello along with the school band — we'll have the sheet music delivered to your room."