Chapter 52

"Yuanxian's words are reasonable. This lord almost fell for those people's schemes," with Pei Yuanxian's words, the Duke of Jian suddenly recalled the Wei Family's over looming presence. Their forces were one that could directly threaten the throne and abolish the emperor. Not to mention him, even the current emperor didn't dare to easily provoke and offend them.

There were some matters that were clearly laid out before them, evident for all to see on the table, but many chose to turn a blind eye to it. In the end, it was still because the Wei Family and Shen Da weren't in the Imperial City. Otherwise, unless Shen Liang himself was willing, who dared to provoke him?

Shen Liang held no objections toward Pei Yuanxian's decision to bring out the Wei Family. He resided in Pei Yuanxian's arms and waited for the numbness in his legs to diminish. His hand, shielded behind the thick layer of cloak, tugged on Pei Yuanxian and gestured for Pei Yuanxian to let go of him. The other party frowned imperceptibly, but still released Shen Liang's hands with helplessness.

Ignoring the gazes of others, Shen Liang knelt down to examine the corpse. His familiarity and experienced skills in doing so surprised many who were present. Shen Liang pried the corpses mouth open and took out a silver needle that appeared to have materialized from thin air, and inserted it between the deceased's teeth, searching for something. But those who had the slightest knowledge would know that Shen Liang appeared to be someone experienced in traditional herbal medicine.

"Eryuehong!" Shen Liang stood up and delivered his conclusion. Qi Yue handed over a handkerchief in a timely manner. Eryuehong was a deadly poison, capable of killing someone with the slightest spike, but such a poison wasn't anything anyone could get their hands on. However, it was a poison many affluent families who cultivated death puppets would use on them.

"Eryuehong? Hehe.... it's getting more and more interesting," hearing the name, Pei Yuanxian gave a dark laugh. The Duke of Jian's demeanor immediately took a turn for the worse. Those who knew better, including the Imperial Princes, Xiang Qing, Jing Xiran, and Xie Yan all frowned. Eryuehong was the very poison the bandits who kidnapped the young master Duanyu, used on themselves when they were caught.

Shen Liang originally had no firm connection with the bandits, but the assassin who attempted to scheme against him today used the same poison the bandits killed themselves with. Even if there weren't any connection between them, those who knew would find themselves biased towards linking the two matters together. 

"Since the Imperial Princes and the Duke of Jian are all present, then the following matter may be..." Shen Liang never finished his words. His figure swayed unsteadily.

Pei Yuanxian, who stood the closest to him immediately reached out to wrap his arm around Shen Liang's slender waist, "Shen Liang's physique is weak. Perhaps he has contracted a cold. This lord will have to borrow one of cousin's courtyards to take him to rest in. Uncle, we'll leave the matter of investigating the perpetrator behind this matter to you. I believe aunt would also be very intrigued in hearing about this matter."

With his words, Pei Yuanxian took Shen Liang away in his arms. Yianshu, Yaoguang, and Qi Yue followed behind him. Xiang Qing, Jing Xiran, and the others also followed suit after a momentary silence and contemplation. As they passed by the Shen Xiao sibling pair who hid amongst the crowd, Pei Yuanxian and Shen Liang both gave them a chilling gaze. Without waiting for them to react, the two of them once again retracted their gaze simultaneously, as though acting under tacit understanding, and left the boat under the scrutinizing gazes of many.

Shen Xiao's complexion turned dark and ugly. Their plan could be said to be flawless. The moment Shen Liang fell on the Duke of Jian, what ensued would no longer be under any of their control. Who would've expected the Duke of Qingping to come out and interfere? Not only were all of their efforts in vain, but the investigation might lead to them as well. If... Shen Xiao didn't dare to contemplate on the possibility any further. If the Elder Princess were to derive any evidence, then it would be sufficient to sentence the entire Liu Family to death several hundred times over!