Chapter 58

"Young General Ling's archery skills are superb!" Shen Liang expressed his appreciation without hesitation as he placed another apple on his head. Ling Yucheng looked at him with a complicated gaze. He drew his bow again to shoot.

"Not good..."

"Ah...

"Shen Liang!"

Perhaps because Shen Liang's calm was too intoxicating and misleading or perhaps because Ling Yucheng was too nervous, but the moment the second arrow left the bow, Ling Yucheng wanted to rush forward on reflex. Many people shrieked and stood up. The sharp arrow flew past Shen Liang's cheek, taking with it a few strands of Shen Liang's hair. The audience fell into a deafening silence.

Ling Yucheng stopped halfway in his rush. Pei Yuanxian, who had almost rushed out, also relaxed. His phoenix eyes that rested on Shen Liang carried some resentment even he himself was unaware of. This little guy was playing with a dangerous game. A bit too dangerous.

"Last one. Young General Ling should aim more carefully," no one expected the person who would be the one to break the silence to be Shen Liang. Only then did everyone realize that Shen Liang had never been nervous from beginning to end. Even when the arrow threatened to take his life. In that moment, not only the elders, but many members of the younger generation begin to wonder what did the fifteen-year-old Shen Liang go through and experience to remain motionless and dauntless in the face of death?

Everyone fears death. That was human nature. But Shen Liang abruptly jumped out from that classification. He was calm and indulgent. His fearlessness stunned everyone present and made many look at him with admiration, including Ling Yucheng. 

Ling Yucheng had grown up on the battlefield. He was young and filled with vigor. It was inevitable for him to be flamboyant and arrogant. Compared to the youngsters who grew up in the safe confines of the Imperial City and immersed themselves in courtyard schemes and deviations, he was much more straightforward and simpler. The moment he settled his mind and heart on someone, he would follow them to the end. It was just like when his heart settled on Shen Jing with that one glance a few years back, despite the frolicking gossip and rumors that spread around the Imperial City, he pursued her regardless for two years now. And Ling Yucheng admired the strong. Even though Shen Liang might be a novice in warfare, his character was admirable.

"I won't apologize for challenging you."

But I will respect your courage. And sincerely treat you as a friend!

Ling Yucheng's eyes were sharp. He drew his bow again to shoot the arrow, but this time, he aimed the arrow towards the sky, ending his turn in the most incredulous way. 

This useless thing!

Shen Jing, who saw this scene the entire way through, couldn't help but curse inside. However, she didn't dare show the slightest displeasure on her face because of Shen Liang's previous words. Although he never stated her name out loud, many people had started to examine her, especially the members from the General's Manor and the third Prince's concubine. She could feel their sharp blade-like gazes falling on her from time to time.

"It's your turn," no matter what the others thought, Ling Yucheng personally handed the bow and arrow to Shen Liang while taking the apple off the top of Shen Liang's head. Just as he placed it atop his head, he suddenly though of something and raised his head abruptly to demand: "How's your archery skill?"

With his inquiry, many people present startled. They originally thought Shen Liang was seeking death, and never considered that if Shen Liang had the chance to shoot at Ling Yucheng, if his archery skills really were as bad as they thought, then wouldn't Ling Yucheng...