Part 35 (M)

Author's pov

Seoul City Local Police Station

A group of newly transferred policemen were surrounding a table in a circle, gossiping about their lives in the middle of the night. All of them had cups of coffee to fade the sleepiness away although an officer was already fast asleep.

"I don't know why people have to be so intimidated by crimes," Jinyoung commented, with a satisfied sip of his coffee.

His friend, Hansul, agreed with it by saying, "I know right? In my village, my own family was caught in a storm of arguments. That too, was a silly excuse for causing drama for entertainment. I mean, it happened just because, BY mistake, I tell you, a farmer in the neighbouring field extended his boundary just a little bit. And guess what, I got a call."

Jinyoung chuckled at his friend's annoyed face. "Locals are getting out of hand, I tell you. Nothing of seriousness happens nowadays."

Hansul was about to take a refreshing sip when his telephone rang. Through the almost empty and silent room, its noise was loud. Hansul grabbed his cup's handle tightly with his eyes scrunched up in irritation.

Jinyoung laughed at that and said, "Go pick it up, otherwise it turns out it was our boss."

"Why would he call on a telephone?" Hansul argued, still not being ready to stand. "I'm not gonna write any silly cases anymore. It's enough. You go if you've got more endurance."

Jinyoung stared at Hansul. Whom, in return, gave him a look of 'what!?'. So Jinyoung went up to the telephone and took it, starting with a, "Hello?"

He could hear someone's footsteps as if the person on call was walking. And sounds of sobbing, not of one, neither of two, but of either five or six people. And distinguished whispers that even he could hear.

The caller replied, "This is a serious situation.. please, we're trapped. They've trapped us. I don't where we're kept, but I know the location of the building. Please, save us, officer!"

Jinyoung looked upon Hansul, who was watching him too, giving him a curious look. They maintained eye contact while Jinyoung spoke, "What's your name, sir?"

"Jihoon. Kim Jihoon." That person replied, "I've got no more time, sir. Please, we're trapped in......"

The phone suddenly beeped. And the call was off. Jinyoung repeatedly shouted over the call for any sign of an answer, but of course, no one was there.

Hansul came running over. He asked, "What's wrong?"

Jinyoung explained. Hansul's eyes could have popped out if Jinyoung hadn't told him to try and track the call.

While Jinyoung called the other officers into their cabins, Hansul made a report and shook the officer who was sleeping until now and commanded him to start the engine.

Finally, a serious case occurred.
______________

Jihoon's pov

I turned the phone over and over again, but it turned as blank as ever. For the first time in my lifetime, I was seriously angry with my phone. In this dimly lit room, I could barely move without tripping over someone's leg.

I stood up. In my loose clothes, it made it more difficult. I walked up to the area where Mr and Mrs Jeon were sitting, as safely as I could, and sat beside them. Even if this had nothing to do with a guest like me, I still couldn't leave people as helpless as them.

Mrs Jeon noticed my presence. She looked at me with her eyes brimmed with tears. Her face silently asked what had happened because she couldn't speak out the real pain. I grabbed her hands in mine. She squeezed them and sobbed.