Chapter 4

Third hummed happily as he danced around the living room and picked up all the dirty clothes scattered over the place. Even though it was just doing laundry, he felt a strange sense of peace in the activity and it made him relaxed, especially since his mother took Chimon into the garden and the two had a little picnic on the grass. Third heard the baby giggle and his mood went up even more despite just picking up a poop stained shorts. "One cup of Soof and the stains go poof." He sang slogan from the washing powder advert as he turned on the machine, satisfied with the job. His phone beeped and Third excitedly picked it up. His smile went down a little when the sender was Bone.

'I'm at farmers market. Do you want anything? I'll be driving home through your area.' 

'Fruits and honey would be great. Are the other two with you?'

'No, the lovebirds don't have time for us. :('

'Us?'

'I'm with Khai.'

Third sighed. It was only four days ago that Khai picked him up from the dentist and spent the day with him. He gave Third a cold compress on his swollen cheek, vacuumed the living room, played and fed Chimon, and even changed the baby's diaper when he pooped. Third was happy but also silently panicking about how nice Khai was. As they parted in the evening and Khai was leaving, Chimon kept crawling around looking for him and blabbering. It made Third's heart ache and he felt slightly jealous at how quickly his son got attached to a complete stranger he's seen two or three times.

'Some carrots and apples would be great too. See you later.'

Third put his phone down again and hesitantly looked into the garden at his mother and baby Chimon. She knew Third and Khai are talking again, but whenever Khai visited, Third made sure it was on the days when she wasn't home, and he was unsure about their interaction if he visits. After all she was the one comforting her crying son for days on end when they broke up. Seeing Third broken and lonely crushed her heart a lot and when Third revealed Khai is back in his life, she got understandably worried. "Ma...?" He stepped into the garden and hesitantly smiled. Chimon crawled up to him and hugged Third's arm, drooling into his elbow.

"What is it darling? Is everything alright?" She gently stroked his cheek. Third nodded. "Yeah it's just...can Khai visit today? Just for a moment. Bone and him are-" "No." She frowned before Third could finish the sentence. "I don't want to see that person. He's hurt you so much in the past, so why have you forgiven him?" "It's complicated." "I have the entire afternoon, so tell me." His mother folded her arms and raised an eyebrow, waiting. Third picked up Chimon properly as he told mom the reason why Khai did what he did, avoiding her eye contact. He knew if he looked up, she would see how heart eyed he got. "I'm still not sure my dear boy... I really hate seeing you hurt." She sighed and patted Third's head.

"He really loves Chimon you know? And Chimon likes him too, he even made up a nickname for him; Papii. Mom, he changed. I really want to be friends with him..." Third pleaded but she didn't seem too convinced. In the end she nodded and with a bit of displeasure agreed for Khai to come over. When Third and Khai dated he was like her other son, she loved him so much, and his betrayal was a huge surprise for her too. It hurt and all she could do was watch as her son wasted away being sad and alone.

"We're heeeere!" Bone sang as he walked through the garden path towards the family with Khai sheepishly following him holding a big paper bag with veggies. "We went a little overboard." Bone announced proudly and he waltzed into the house, setting the shopping in the kitchen and poured himself some juice as if he owned the place. Khai wai Third's mother politely but focused his attention to Chimon and Third. When Chimon noticed the man with earrings he immediately crawled out of Third's lap and into his, blubbering. "Papii, kith kith!" Chimon giggled trying to kiss Khai's face. Third's mother cleared her throat. "Young man; a word." "Mom, I-" "Not you, Mr. Khunpol. You scram." She frowned at Third who hastily got back to his feet and joined Bone inside the house.