Our Love

Chapter 16

" My love, we will burn so bright, the flickering, nightly stars of our deathly black sky will squint in dumbfounded awe at the celestial magnificence of our igniting magic."

-Mustafa Tattan.

I woke up on the floor of my bedroom. Drenched in my own sweat. My carpet was stained with blood. I hurriedly ran my hands over my body checking for any other wounds. But all the blood was just from last night's wound. I had no idea what had happened or what was going to happen. I just knew I needed all the help I could get. I was counting on Landon for that. He was the only one who could help me.

I felt really groggy and disoriented but I pulled myself together and stood up shakily. My phone was still on my nightstand right where I had left it the previous night. That was a relief. At least no one had touched it. I wiped my sweaty palms on my bed before I picked up my phone. There was a single message from Landon.

"Sure. Just text the tym."

"Tmrw. After school."

"Ok. ILY"

"ILY2."

I really needed someone to talk to but I was too shaken up to even text or call him and tell him. I hated the weekends. They were always the lonliest days in the week. At least when I was in school, I had people surrounding me. I had distractions. But when I was home, all I could think about was my pain and suffering and how much I wished for a normal life and family.

I crawled over to the left side of my bed,picked Olive up and put her on the ground, curled into a fetal position and prayed that slumber would overtake me.

I woke to the sound of screams. It was Mamma. As much as I hated to hear her being in pain, I was thankful it was not my night. I don't think I could have handled any more pain for now. I hadn't yet gotten over my previous encounter. There was a tray of food next to my bed. I picked up a slice of bread and nibbled at the corner, trying so hard to drown out the screams. I desperately wished to go save her but the consequences were too dire. And no one knew that better than me.

I fell asleep to the sound of Mamma's whimpers. I knew Daddy was done for the night. And tomorrow it would be my turn all over again.

I awoke to sunlight streaming through my windows. Getting out of bed, I went through my daily motions like clockwork. I put on a clean bandage and threw on a long sleeved sweater over a pair of jeans. I guess my days of dressing normal were gone again.

But today would be different. I had vowed not to be like Mamma. I did not want to live my whole life like this. I wasn't going to keep quiet anymore. I was finally going to do something about this. For once in my life, I was doing something big for myself. And for Mamma.

After school, I went to our bench at the park. I needed to hurry. I didn't want Daddy to suspect anything if he happened to be home before me.

He was seated there, waiting for me. He looked as amazing as always. I could have stared forever. I sighed and got back to reality. I awkwardly walked over to him. His face lit up when he saw me. He stood up and made as if to hug me but I just stood there awkwardly. He held me at arm's length and studied my face intently.

"He's back, isn't he?"

I kept my eyes on the ground. He took my injured arm in his hand. The look on his face was one of agony.

"I will kill him."

That did it. The waterworks began. The tears just wouldn't stop. It was like all I had been holding in since Daddy's arrival finally came out. It was such a relief to cry in his arms. When I was done, he pulled away.

"So tell me exactly what we have to do."

And this is why I loved him. He always knew exactly what to say and do. I had no idea what exactly we were going to do but I knew I had to get rid of Daddy, once and for all. We were going to end his life. It's the only way any of us will ever be truly happy.

So we put our heads together and with our enormous hatred of him, came up with a plan that seemed foolproof enough. Now all we needed was some more time which wasn't a problem. I had plenty of time. I just did not know how much more pain I could take.

We were finally going to take him down.

~♡~♡~♡~♡~♡~♡~♡~♡~♡~♡~♡~♡

THREE WEEKS LATER

~♡~♡~♡~♡~♡~♡~♡~♡~♡~♡~♡~♡

On the morning of third March, I woke up with a new feeling in my heart. It was hope. Today was the day I was going to chase down my demons once and for all.

I had to meet Landon once more after school to finalize the plan. We had been communicating through texts about it but talking it through once more was essential if we wanted it to work.

When I went there, he wasn't waiting for me. For a moment, I was afraid that he may have chickened out. Everything was in place. The house was ready. It was an almost foolproof plan.

It was almost half an hour before he arrived. He was disheveled and had a cut above his right eye.

I stood to help him sit.

"What the hell happened to you?"

"Sorry. I got into a fight with some guy who lives in our area," he said with a slight laugh.

"You really should be more careful. I don't know what I'd do if anything ever happened to you."

Hr smiled fondly at me. "Don't worry. I'm not going anywhere. I'm sorry but you're stuck with me forever."

I gave him a slight punch on his arm and he winced.

"Oopsie." I giggled. I had really missed this. Being normal and happy. I hope I was going to get all that back soon.

"Okay, let us go over this one more time," I became all business-like. "This is our only chance. We can't let it go wrong."

"I won't let it go wrong."

After about fifteen minutes of discussing fires and more fires, it was time.

I stood up to leave and so did Landon.

"Hey,Marissa?"

"Yeah?" I turned back to look at Landon.

He came closer. He was so close, I could feel his breath on my cheek and smell the pinecone-y scent I so loved.

"You know that I love you, right?"

I nodded shyly.

"And that I'd do anything for you?"

"Would you really?" I asked him playfully.

He dropped a kiss on my cheek and dead seriously whispered, "yes, I would."

"I would too Landon, I would too."

He gave me one last lingering kiss on my lips and I buried my face in his neck and inhaled deeply. I couldn't wait for our life together to finally begin. He kissed my hair and then pulled away.

"Go now. And don't worry. Just trust me."

I nodded and walked away. I was almost out of view and I turned to look at him one last time before I went home. He was still looking at me. His eyes lit up and he gave me a brilliant smile. He was beautiful. That's all there was too it.

That was our love.
Innocent and beautiful like summer days.
Wild and relentless like stormy winter nights.

I loved him.

It was as simple as that.