Chapter Eight

Rachel stood up as Mr. Schue walked into rehearsal the next day, "Mr. Schuester, I have an announcement. I have selected the perfect ballad for Finn and I to sing to launch our performance at sectionals."

I rolled my eyes. First day of Glee Club without Kurt was already worse than I thought.

"Me first. Two things," Mr. Schue said. "First, our competition at sectionals are your classic stool choirs. Great voices, but they don't move. If we're gonna beat them, we need to do what they can't: dance. Which is why I've decided to feature Brittany, Mike Chang's, and Kimberly's sweet moves at sectionals."

I was shocked as Mercedes grabbed my hand and smiled at me as everyone started talking. I'd never been recognized for my dancing before in this group. Why now?

"They're gonna dance in front of me while I sing my solo?" Rachel asked.

"You're not getting a solo for this competition, Rachel," Mr. Schue said.

"Finally. So what song am I going to get to sing?" Mercedes asked whilst I crossed my arms, leaning back in my seat.

"I was thinking the winners of our duets competitions would take the leads."

"Ken and Barbie?" Rachel asked, referring to Sam and Quinn. "Wait, are you trying to throw this?"

"You used to be just sort of unlikeable but now I pretty much feel like punching you every time you open your mouth," Quinn said.

"Okay, listen. I have talked the talk about everyone here feeling special for over a year now, but frankly I haven't walked the walk. I mean we've got a lot of talent here, and I'm gonna highlight it," Mr. Schue said.

"Do something," Rachel whispered to Finn, making me glare at her.

"Look, I'm all for pumping up the team, making everyone feel special, but that's for practice," Finn said, making me now stare daggers at him. "You don't take the star quarterback out before the big game."

"Easy to say when you're the star quarterback," Tina said.

"This isn't just about me. This is about the team."

"You are such a hypocrite," Santana said.

"Like you even know what that means," Rachel said.

"It means that your boyfriend is full of crap, hobbit."

"You know what?"

"Here we go," I murmured.

"Ever since the wedding, you've been up my butt, and I'm sick of it," Rachel said, standing up, turning back to the Cheerio.

"Come on, Rachel. She's not worth it," Finn said.

"Oh, really?" Santana asked. "Because that's not what you thought last year in that motel room."

I looked at the two in shock. Was Santana getting at what I thought she was getting at? 

"That's right, Yentl," Santana said to Rachel. "Your sweetheart, he's been lying to you. Because he and I totally got it on last year."

"Okay, enough already!" Mr. Schue said. "No more conversations about this, or anything. This is our plan for sectionals, and that is that. Mike, Brittany, Kim, come up here. Let's start choreographing."

*    *    *    *    *

"I miss you like crazy," I said to Kurt on the phone as I laid on my bed that night. "It's awful in there."

"Is it really that bad?" he asked.

"Rachel was already planning on her and Finn doing a duet, but then Mr. Schue totally changed that up on her, and now she's pissed, and it's just . . . it's a lot harder to handle without my best friend there."