Chapter Twelve

"This cannot be happening," Tina said on Monday in rehearsal, after Mr. Schue told us that Sue would be joining us. She was sitting two chairs away from me. She had been depressed after the Cheerios lost nationals the weekend that we did the football game.

"This seems like a terrible idea," Artie said.

"Guys, it's not up for discussion, okay? It's no secret Coach Sylvester has taken her licks," our teacher said.

"I mean, just wanky," Santana said.

"And I believe she could use a little sympathy from us."

"Sympathy? From us? Uh-uh," Mercedes said.

"All she's ever done is make our lives miserable," Quinn said.

"All I'll give her credit for is trying to help my brother during the whole Karofsky thing," I said.

"She got exactly what she deserved," Santana said.

"You're lucky my blowgun's at home, air bags, because I got a clear shot at your nonnies," Sue retorted.

"Guys. Coach Sylvester has had her recent setbacks, but she is a proven champion," Mr. Schue said. "And we could do worse than to have that kind of winning record in our midst."

"Let me break it down for you. I am no longer a threat to you people. Alright, I'm just hoping your singing and dancing around will pull me out of my doldrums and give me a reason to live. Is that too much to ask?"

"Guys, it's settled. Sue's gonna be with us for the week. Now, I received an envelope in the mail today," Mr. Schue held it up as some people murmured. "We know we're facing Kurt and the Warblers at regionals."

"Sweet Porcelain," Sue said, looking over at me, I gave her a small smile.

"And it looks like this year," Mr. Schue continued, "we face Aural Intensity again."

"They cleaned our clock last year," Mercedes said.

"It seems like the governing board has assigned a theme to this year's regionals, and part of our score will be based upon how well we interpret it. This year's theme: Anthem. Now who can tell us what an anthem is?"

"It's the bottom of an ant's pants," Brittany said.

"So close. So close. No. An anthem is an epic song filled with a groundswell of emotion that somehow seems bigger than itself, even bigger than the person performing it."

"Mr. Schue?" Sam stood up.

"Oh, Sam. I didn't notice your haircut."

I looked at him. He did . . . and it was giving me Bieber vibes.

"Yeah, I've been working on a new image with my new one-man band. The Justin Bieber Experience."

"You gotta be kidding me," Quinn said.

"Dude, that haircut makes your mouth look even bigger," Puck said.

"Let her speak," Sue said, making us laugh.

"Laugh all you want, but that kid's got talent," Sam said. "I've been working on a number I want to show off. I think it qualifies as an anthem because it's just hugely emotional and sums up our generation."

"Alright. Let's hear it, buddy," Mr. Schue said before sitting down.

Sam grabbed a guitar before strumming the first notes of Justin Bieber's "Baby".

*     *     *     *     *

    I knocked on Sue's office door to find her writing, "You asked to see me?"