That Makes The World Go Round

Hawaii walked on the bridge's stone ledge, balancing herself on it with little difficulty. Haliewa bridge was always popular for the kids to jump off, despite being told time and time again it wasn't recommended nor allowed. But, of course, no one listened to that warning, as the river below was deep enough that you wouldn't hit the bottom as soon as you jumped off.

The whole reason why they even came to Haleiwa was for shave ice. Being on an island really does make you learn exactly where the best of everything was at. The best poi was this place, the best fried rice was another place, and the best musubi was all the way on the other side of the island.

Alab was walking next to her, seemingly thinking about something else. The silence was deafening, but neither tried to break it.

Hawaii looked over the bridge to the river below. "Wanna see if I can touch the bottom?"

"There's a sign right there that says 'Don't jump from the bridge!' in red." Alab deadpanned.

"If I didn't see it, it doesn't exist." Hawaii joked, "Lighten up, Alab."

"Aren't you the same person who got on Raymond's ass about the safety check on his van?" Alab asked. "And freaked out when my cousin was climbing the coconut tree with no equipment?"

"Because that's other's safety at stake. This would only hurt me if I mess up."

"Okay, get away from the edge, Lani."

"The river's deep enough." Hawaii muttered to herself, but obliged, hopping back onto the sidewalk. "You are no fun."

"So... what exactly do people in... relationships do?"

"I don't know. Dinner? Movies?" Hawaii shrugged. "Haven't seen a movie with someone since the war."

"Which one? There's so many of them that I lost track."

"The one with Japan and Germany." Hawaii rolled her eyes.

"Holy shit Lani, how did you live?" Alab said, making a mock horrified face. "What were you, five when the war was still happening?

"I keep forgetting what a baby you are." Hawaii rolled her eyes. "I forget you don't even remember back then."

"As if you would remember more."

"I remember much more than you think I do, Alab Gabriel Reyes Acosta." Hawaii said, purposely making herself sound mysterious and cryptic. "Your full name, for example."

"My sister tells you about my middle names once." Alab muttered. "Anyways, Disney made that new kids movie, right?"

"The Sword in the Stone." Hawaii said, "And as someone I know very well would say, 'just because it's animated does not mean it was for kids'."

Sikaiana was very defensive over animated movies, which weren't even a dream to see on her atoll. As such, she had punched several people who told her that animated Disney movies were for little kids.

"Speaking of not for kids, how's Odd Girl Out, by the way?" Alab asked, interested.

"Oh, it was lovely! The characters were brilliant and the story was just incredible and-"

"So you did like it. I knew you would." Alab asked, and Hawaii rolled her eyes.

"It's a great storyline, alright?" Hawaii said.

"Just know I will buy you every single one of those books I see just to spite you now." He said, laughing gleefully as Hawaii hit his shoulder.

"I will throw you off the bridge, Alab Acosta." Hawaii threatened, and he stuck out his tongue at her.