Chapter 1

Nearly all people are bound to meet a person they just cannot ever be on amicable terms with. Opposite personalities that share no common interest, and differ wildly in opinions. In the lives of some, no matter what they do, or what life circumstances had brought them together, getting along would never become a possibility. Even if it was the apocalypse, with only those two left on the entire planet, and they'd still rather go in opposite directions than having to spend a single minute together. For some people, they meet many individuals like that, while for others, only meet one throughout their whole life. And that only makes that one person all the more insufferable.

As for Candice, she had met plenty of people she knew she could've never been friends with. For the most part, noone was even at fault for that. She was a fairly quiet, overly serious person for all of her life, with strict rules to live by, bonding with carefree social butterflies had always been very difficult for her. But she was never angry at them or herself for that. She could still work, and talk with them when it was required of her, but she was always aware of that certain, uncrossable distance between them. It was just a simple part of life. She couldn't be close with everyone, hell, it was more likely she would only have a few people she would be able to be on great terms with, and that was fine. Those people were just different, she had never felt they were deserving of any hatred.

Except for one particular person.

Lucas Aaron wasn't even all that different from many others of his age group; partied way more than he studied, had a lot of friends, and in general was far more preoccupied with having as much fun as he possible could than anything else. But the one special thing he had going for himself was his appearance; tall, attractive, with green eyes, a nice voice, and an aura of charm to him. He was very popular, and wasn't afraid to use that to his advantage. From the rumors going around the campus it was hard to determine the exact number of people he had shared a night with, but it was definitely higher than lower. And yet, he had a reputation for being extremely picky. He was well aware of how coveted he was, probably the most well known guy all around the university, and so, he had the luxury of choosing from the handful he liked the most. He took pleasure in the chase, flirted with anyone who wanted to shoot their shot with him, but more often than not, they were left hanging by the playboy. Sleeping with him had become some sort of a twisted  badge of honor, it meant he had seen something in you that caught his interest. As if he was a king, collecting concubines. But none of that would've normally been enough to earn Candice's hatred. She couldn't wrap her head around this lifestyle, and the adoration so many people had towards him, but not understanding people was a frequent phenomenon in her life, she didn't have the energy to resent all of them. And yet...

This guy made her blood boil.

She wasn't sure if it was his excessive loudness, and foul mouth, or his obnoxious personality that made her despise him, but the very sight of him made her want to claw her own throat out just to escape him. He was annoying, lazy, slimy, and rude, all the things she found entirely detestable. She had been targeted by him a few months after the semester had begun for a couple of weeks; he would show up here and there, doing his best to seduce her. Candice was certain his invitations had never been serious; all he was looking for was attention, the achievement of being able to conquer the notoriously loner, studious girl of the year. She didn't even think he was attracted to her at all. If anything she would've just been one of the many left to rot the moment she started reciprocating his advances. Fortunately, she had hated him ever since they first met. Even as much as entertaining the thought of sleeping with someone with such a horrible personality sounded insane.

... For a while at least.

"Finally ." an exasperated sigh echoed as she had opened the door of the bedroom soon after letting herself into the house. She locked it behind her, and walked straight to the bed, practically throwing her bag to the ground with no concern for its contents. She gave the man inside a bored look of distaste as she crossed her arms in front of her chest.