Chapter 5

9:43 pm

That was the time displayed on the phone's screen. A heavy sigh left Candice's lips as she threw the device onto the mattress next to her. The closer she got to actually having to leave the house, the less she felt like doing it. Going to a party to a house of a stranger, where she probably wouldn't know a single soul at... She had never done something like that before. All of it seemed far too much pressure for her to handle. Pathetic as it may have sounded, she was terrified. She quietly looked at her for in the mirror in front of her, examining her body clad in clothes she had usually kept buried in the back of her closet, not having the confidence to wear them. Bold lines, bright colors, fabric hugging her body much tighter than what she was used to. It almost felt like she was looking at someone else, she couldn't recognize herself. But she wasn't sure whether that was a good, or a bad thing.

She had no idea what had even prompted her to say yes. The unsupervised partying of teens and young adults entailed dangers that she thought she would never want to risk, and yet, when the opportunity presented itself, she was far more eager to agree than she felt comfortable with. Perhaps it was the haze caused by the post-orgasm glow that gave her the confidence for it. Maybe she really just wanted to have an opportunity to clear her head a little, and let loose. Although with how stiff and stressed she was feeling, relaxation and having fun started to sound like very outlandish ideas.

She couldn't tell how long she had been sitting on her bed, silently dreading the rest of the night, but she was suddenly interrupted by two distinct honks of a car. That could only mean the arrival of her carriage... Or whatever the modern version of that would be. When she thought about it, the whole situation wasn't that different from a princess going to her first ball, except with much less romance, a whole lot more alcohol, and the prince was an egotistical bastard. It was the best she was going to get, as the real world was quite a bit more disappointing than fairy tales.

"I half-expected you to show in a sweater my grandma would wear and old jeans, but would you look at that. You actually look like you belong to your age group. Congrats." Lucas commented snarkily as Candice got into the car. She just rolled her eyes, having predicted a remark of this nature well before she had even left her home.

"And you... Look like you always do." she noted, not overly impressed by his choice of attire or hair style. He always looked fashionable, and with his good looks, it was practically impossible for him to wear anything that would dim his light. That was quite an infuriating trait of his, to Candice at least.

"Perfection is difficult to improve upon." he said with an overdramatic tone, making the girl groan in feigned pain, which he only reacted to with a laugh. Of course, she was never going to admit that she was actually thinking of something very similar. She saw no point in making his already inflated ego any bigger.

Candice had some doubts regarding the ability of a university student to throw a party. From what she understood, most of them either lived in the dorms, or apartments so small they were barely an adequate size for a single person. That was what she had gathered from social, and regular media during her lifetime. However, as the car ride ended up extending way beyond the part of the city where the campus was, she was quick to realize that they weren't going to the place of just a regular student.

"So it's a wealthy kid behind it all, huh..." she noted as she looked out through the window, examining the homes nearby that have turned from the small flats of the city center to the oversized family homes of the suburbs.

"He's a freshman who is trying to impress the seniors. And who are we to stop him in that?" he grinned, happy to make use of the overeager underclassman.

"Quite brave of him to invite a bunch of careless, loud, and dirty uni students to his undoubtedly immaculate home." Candice added, following the neat fences with her eyes. These streets weren't too different from the ones she grew up on. They provided her with a strange sense of comfort.