Chapter 14

"It's rare I get to see your apartment in the daylight."

"One day of normalcy is all I'm asking for. One." 

"I'm just saying! Maybe we should change that, it's rare to find something we haven't-!"

"I'm going to lock you out and keep all the food you paid for if you don't shut the fuck up right now."

The girl shot him a threatening glance as she closed the front door behind him. He only responded with a mischievous grin as he placed the bags he had been carrying on the kitchen table, moving as comfortably in the home as he did in his own. But that was no surprise at all, this particular visit was far from his first, although they did usually occur way past sunset. Despite shooting him down, Candice couldn't help but note that this really was the first time Lucas had ever stepped over the threshold of her apartment with no impure intentions in mind, as much as he was possible of such a thing at least.

"So, how are we gonna do this?" he wondered, leaning against the edge of the table. "If we really want to take this seriously, we've got our hands more than full. And since we've already spent all this money on the decorations and food, I think we really should take it seriously."

"... I don't know where to start. I've never really paid attention to the process of preparations." she admitted, somewhat embarrassed about being so clueless. She was supposed to be a smart, strong-minded person after all. Having to give an opinion on something she had very little insight on was a rare occurrence in her life. People usually didn't care to ask her about things she wasn't an expert on, even if it was something as simple as her personal preferences. Well, most people anyways.

"Can you cook at all?" he inquired further, beginning to unpack the bags of what was supposed to be ingredients for the holiday meal.

"Not really... I've never tried to do anything more complicated than a sandwich." she confessed.
"Rich people..." he sighed, shaking his head in disbelief. "That's fine I guess. We aren't in a rush. I'll teach you." he concluded, earning a look of surprise from the girl.

"You?" she echoed, unwilling to trust her ears. "You can cook?"

"I've been living alone for years now, and unlike some people, I can't exactly afford to always eat out." he explained, making her roll her eyes at his pointed remark. "I've also helped with cooking dishes when I was little, since mom often didn't have the time or energy for it. If I look up a recipe for it online, I can figure pretty much any meal out."

"Oh wow. That's actually pretty cool. I'm impressed, which isn't something I can say about you very often." she noted snarkily, earning a chuckled from the man.

"You're gonna have to follow my instructions if you wanna be useful though. Think you can do that?" he smirked at her teasingly.

"I'll bear with it for the sake of the goal." she shrugged it off, not willing to entertain the thoughts he was alluding to.

"Then you can start by washing the vegetables. Surely even you can do that." he instructed, nodding his head at the pack of potatoes laid on the table.

"I'm inexperienced, not inept." 

"Sometimes you make me wonder."

"There will come a day when I'll inevitably lose my patience, and slap you if you continue running your mouth."

"What if that's the goal? Maybe I'm into that."

"Oh then don't bother with provoking, just ask me to do it, it'd be my pleasure to deliver on a request like that."

"Threat of violence is punishable by law, you know?" 

"It's a true tragedy that being insufferable isn't."