Chapter Four - Shots! Shots!

19 February 2020

Score: Drinking Games - Kidd G

Lydia

"You owe me, cunts!" Gloria leans against the doorframe, cocking her brow and crossing her arms in front of her chest. "I was the only one at dinner with the old folks. I had to lie to Headmaster Farrell, telling him that Alex and Nate went for a night ride with you guys, instead of playing Slytherin the Hufflepuff since we got here..." She says the last words a little too loudly, cocking her head to the door opposite the hallway. Mark and I share a glance and burst out laughing. Gloria joins in shortly, rejoicing that she managed to pull off a Harry Potter joke about sex.

"Oh, great! Shots!" Gloria claps her hands and walks in, then props herself on the armrest of the sofa.

I watch as Mark picks up the water glasses, resting on the dresser, next to the plates of food, and fills four to about one-third with vodka. He then checks the minibar fridge, taking out some ice.

Great. I haven't drunk in a long time, but I have drunk before, mainly wine and champagne. I have never drunk vodka before. Oh, well, I guess there's a first for everything.

Mark hands everyone a glass, pulling his eyebrows into a frown, as he hands Patrick one. I can't help but wonder why these two dislike each other. Is it only in my head? Or, is it just teenage boys' bickering?

Ever since Patrick joined our school last year, he's been a part of our group with Gloria, Alex and Nate. He's a really nice guy and our parents clicked, I think. The fact that his father is the only heir to an earldom also helps, I suppose.

Patrick's really sweet and nice, though I sometimes have the feeling he's not always sunshine and butterflies, even though he doesn't show it. He's way too polished for Gloria's dirty mouth, or for my father's bullshit, but he's been nothing but kind to all of us since we met.

Also, I have to admit to myself, I had a pretty good time talking to him over dinner tonight. And I'm definitely starting to believe Gloria about the whole "he fancies you" thing.

I glance at him over the edge of my glass and catch him staring at me. His ears go aflame instantaneously, and the blush spreads to his cheeks and neck, too. How adorable! I wink at him and smile and he seems to relax a little.

"C'mon, then, let's start the party." Mark says.

We all stand around the table, glasses in hand.

"Cheers to two less virgins!" Gloria yells loud enough for Headmaster Farrell to hear. We burst into laughter.

"To the weekend." Patrick raises his glass.

"To being here, all of us together." I say, turning around to face everybody. I catch Mark's eye and smile at him, raising my drink.

"To you." Mark clinks his glass to mine, looking straight into my eyes.

I stand there, still smiling, waiting for him to continue the toast. But he's just staring at me, his eyes unreadable. My smile falls a little and I can feel myself blush all over. Why is it suddenly so hot in here? I lower my glass, feeling the awkwardness spread across the room.

But then, Mark clears his throat and raises his glass again.

"And you, and you." He nods towards Gloria and Patrick.

Oh. I I look down at my feet.

The awkward feeling is still gnawing at me, but I throw my head back and take a hearty swig from my glass.