CHAPTER 1: IT BEGINS

It had been almost six years since I arrived here, in the colony our people set up when we got here-- to your world, I mean.  Yes, I am what you would call an alien.  The thing is that I look just like you but with a few minor differences.  For starters, when I get angry, my eyes tend to glow a bit.  The more upset I am, the more my eyes glow.  This means that for a very long time, my eyes never stopped glowing, but more on that later.  Another curious difference is not noticeable at first glance, but I have two small growths near the base of my skull that are hidden by my hair.  It turns out that all my people have them, but we have no idea what they are for.  I guess they are like your appendix in that regard.

My sister and I have an unusual birthmark on our upper arm.  It is in the shape of a double star.  That is something that I later learned we all have, so that is the final way that we are different in appearance from you humans.  However, that is not where the differences end. Oh no, not by a long shot. You see, we also have abilities, or what you might call powers. Telepathy, or the ability to communicate only with our mind, is common among us all. Telekinesis is another ability that is common among us all. This is the ability to move objects with our thoughts.

Along with telekinesis is the ability to manipulate matter and change its appearance and shape. We can also see into another's mind and be able to tell if the person's intent is noble or evil. Beside these abilities, there are unique gifts that are specific to the individual. For example, I have future sight, which is the ability to see things that are about to happen. My sister had creature speak, or the ability to communicate with animals. Kim and I also could hear over great distances.

The problem is that since we are different, we were always seen by our classmates and the neighborhood at large as freaks and strange. Some of the parents would not even let their kids talk to us, let alone play or hang out with us. This also meant the Donaldson's, our adoptive family, was under constant ridicule as well for taking us in. But let me go back and tell you about the Donaldson family, and then you will see what makes them different from most humans and why it was so hard for Kim and me to be with them.