CHAPTER 12: MORE SECRETS REVEALED

At the end of the next week, I went to see Lynda and Jim one last time.  When I got there, I told them that they were both welcome to come with me to the colony if they wished.  We would protect them both from harm.  Jim looked at me, and with a solemnness that I had not heard in many human voices, he said, " Me and the misssus here done talked it over.  If it is all right with you, we would like to remain here and help any others that are trying to make it home, now that we know what to look for and what it means." I smiled of them both. I knew that they were genuinely going to help any that came their way.  I gave them the number to the colony and told them to give us a call if they got any there.  We would have a Finder out here in a day are two at the most.  Jim shook my hand, and Lynda gave me a hug.  It was the last I saw of them.  

We decided to head south through North Carolina and then over into Tennessee.  Once we hit Missouri we could start the north westerly trek that would take us to the border of Idaho and Utah and to Solitaire Mountain.  Plans are wonderful things, but seldom do they ever work out as you want. Halfway across Tennessee, we had stopped in this little diner in a small one horse town.  It was one of the few times when we indulged and ate in a restaurant instead of getting something quick and eating in the car.  This time, it was a big mistake.  I don't know if he was their tracking us or if he was onto a new target, but the Major showed up in that same diner. He was dressed in civilian clothing, but you could tell that he was military, even without the uniform.

Eric was the first to see him, and he signaled me.  We had decided to get desserts, but with the Major there, we could not risk it.  I also had realized that this was not the best place to face off with the Major since I was not sure how these other people would take to mine and the kids' abilities. I motioned for the waitress.  When she arrived, I asked if there was another way out of the diner without going past the Major.  She looked at me rather strangely, and I had to think fast.

" See that man at the counter with a crew cut?" She nodded, and I went on.  " That is my sisters ex, and he wants to take the kids here, but he is an abusive person, which is why he'd lost custody of them in the first place.  If he sees us in here, I'm certain he's going to start a fight, and I don't want to fight him in here. These kids don't need to see that, if you know what I mean." She nodded and said to give her a minute, and then she would be back to lead us out the back way.  She walked over to the other side of the diner and started talking to a guy over there.  Phil just looked at me, but I knew what he wanted me to do. 

I listened closely, and within seconds, I was hearing everything she was saying.  She had gone over and was talking with this one guy she called Tiny about our situation and asking him if he could distract the Major for us.  The other guy agreed, and she started heading back over toward us.  When this fellow stood up, well, Solitaire Mountain was an anthill compared to this guy.  I knew that the Major was in for real workout that day.  As we were leaving, I heard the big man say to the Major, " So you like slapping women around.  How's about tryin' that with me, tough guy!" I almost felt sorry for the Major until I touched his mind.

I have no idea why I did it.  All I know is that I did, and what I saw scared me and, at the same time, angered me.  I closed my eyes right away so the waitress would not see them glowing.  And once I did, I felt Eric start to guide me.  I knew at once that he knew what had happened, and he was trying to help me, so I let him. One of the things in the kids' files was a picture of the accident scene.  It showed a Toyota tercel, silver in color, in pretty mangled shape.  It is plain to see, even in the photo, that the car had flipped and rolled several times before coming to a stop.  One of the things in the picture was the license plate, or what was left of it rather.  When I touched the Major's mind, I saw that same car driving erratically like they were trying to get away from someone.  I also saw the mother on the cell phone talking frantically with someone.  I now needed to speak to the kids, but I wanted to make sure the timing was right.