Chapter 3 The Attack

Adam heard a loud bang. He felt a sharp pain in his chest. He fell to the ground.

He looked down and saw blood gushing from his wound. He tried to scream, but no sound came out.

He looked up and saw chaos. He saw people running, screaming, falling. He saw smoke, fire, bullets. He saw death.

He realized he had been shot. He realized he was dying.

He closed his eyes and thought of his life. He thought of his parents, who he loved but who didn't understand him. He thought of his comrades, who he admired but who didn't know him well. He thought of his dreams, which he pursued but which didn't come true.

He felt a hand on his shoulder. He opened his eyes and saw a face. A familiar face.

It was Lisa, his best friend since childhood. She was also a member of the Socialist Party (CWI). She was also wearing a red T-shirt.

She looked at him with tears in her eyes. She spoke to him with a trembling voice.

"Adam...Adam...can you hear me?"

He nodded weakly.

"Adam...I'm so sorry...this is all my fault..."

He shook his head slightly.

"No...no...it's not your fault..."

She sobbed and hugged him.

"Adam...please don't die...please don't leave me..."

He smiled faintly and touched her cheek.

"Lisa...don't cry...don't be sad..."

She looked at him with love in her eyes. She spoke to him with a soft voice.

"Adam...I have something to tell you..."

He nodded slowly.

"What is it?"

She leaned closer and whispered in his ear.

"Adam...I love you..."

He felt a surge of emotion in his heart. He felt something he had never felt before. He felt love.

He opened his mouth and tried to say something back. But before he could utter a word, he heard another loud bang. And then everything went black.