Chapter Twenty Five

Rosaline

When I saw Finn with the orange-haired-witch my breath was caught in my throat. I felt nothing and everything all at the same time.

First there was the shock, like a sudden burst of energy and feelings in my chest, almost like a miniature fireworks show inside me. When my eyes landed on the pair, Finn's body close up the girls, it was like my world had started to crumble slowly. I knew I should have assessed the situation properly and realised that that Finn would never be with another but the anger had started to kick in and my vision had started to seep red. I could picture my self ripping tuffs of red hair of the whore's pretty little head and jumping at her, claws extended.

As I stepped closer and saw the hardness of Finn's face and the rigid stone like stature I realised that maybe he wasn't going to betray our relationship after all, and then the calmness and relief flooded my whole body, relaxing my heart rate and the shaking in my hands.

When I had staked my claim on Finn and the whore trampled off in fear and defeat, the warmth of Finn's arms and comforting words soothed me to my core and I settled against his chest peacefully before finding myself wrapped up in his lips.

Until we where interrupted.

"Alistair." I said, echoing Finn in surprise and slight unease.

"My Lady, my Laird." Alistair slightly bowed, in an obvious mocking way, a smirk playing lightly on his lips. "Sorry to interrupt...this...but Laird Clyde wishes to speak to ye."

"Of course," replied Finn, reluctantly loosening his arms from around me, "thank you." Grasping my hand Finn walked forwards, past Alistair but before I could follow an arm snapped out across my chest.

"He wishes to speak only to ye Finlay, not the lass." Alistair said, his eyes fixated on me. Finn's grip on my hand tightened.

"I'm sure he woulnae mind Alistair."

"I'm sure he would." Alistair turned to look Finn straight in the eyes.

Finn released my hand, looking away first so he could plant a kiss on my cheek, whispering, "Go to the room. I will be there soon." Finn turned and strode away, looking back once before turning the corner and striding back towards the courtyard.

Just as I turned to go Alistair gripped my arm tightly, I winced in fear and slight pain causing him to drop my arm completely, saying, "Sorry. I didn't mean to hurt ye. Only suggest I escort ye to yer rooms."

"I can find my way back." I replied turning to leave once more.

"But I cannot leave a lady on her own. Ye never know what dangers lurk around the corner. And I can especially not leave ye alone Rose." Alistair spoke softly, his hand dancing softly on my wrist. "I would never forgive myself if ye were hurt."

"You know," I said, "I think that's the first time you've called me Rose and not my Lady or lass."

Alistair only smiled softly in response. A shadow of smile that revealed so many emotions whilst at the same time hiding them from the sight of others.

Something inside me pitied the broken look on Alistair's face and I said, with warning, "You are only escorting me. Nothing else. Okay?" and with that I offered my arm, which was taken stiffly by Alistair, and turned to stride back towards the courtyard, up the steps and back inside McDowell.

Once inside the aging walls I turned to the staircase that twirled up towards my room, only to stop halfway when I felt Alistair halt next to me.

"What?"