Chapter 4

"Minho! Lynn's got news for us!" I tell him excitedly that night. He grins at me, a sight I haven't seen in too long.

"Well? What is it?"

"She made contact with The Right Arm. They're still out there, we can still escape." A small glimmer of hope appears in his eyes as he swallows thickly.  "We'll just have to hang on until then." 

---

When I go to find Lynn the next day, the gym is empty. Instead, the room is occupied by a man standing facing away from me, staring at the grey concrete walls. 

"Grey is such an interesting colour, isn't it?" I call out sarcastically, a wave of unease washing over me. Janson turns around, his signature smirk on his face. 

"Sorry, (Y/n), a little change in your schedule today."

Two guards step up, launchers at the ready. I eye the weapons distastefully, the awful feeling of being hit with electricity stopping me from making any moves. 

"Let's go," Janson says coldly, striding past me. 

I'm led through unfamiliar corridors, the walls gradually changing from the rough concrete I've been acquainted with for the past couple of days to smooth, shiny white panels lit up by blue LED lighting. There are more people here walking around too, but they're all serious-looking men and women dressed in crisp, white lab coats. 

As we continue walking, I look through various windows, trying to gauge where I am. Various sights greet me, from cabinets full of files, research labs, tables set up with chemical experiments, and examination chairs. 

Oh, right. The point of W.C.K.D was to find a cure for the Flare.

Amidst all the running and hiding from the horrors of the world, I had almost forgotten the creation of W.C.K.D was to find a cure for the virus. 

Subconsciously, I start fidgeting with the hem of my shirt as I watch the pristinely dressed people halt their actions when they meet eyes with me, eyes widening in surprise, or shock, quiet murmurs emerging as they turn to whisper to each other behind raised hands, not allowing me to make out their secretive words. 

"Quite the celebrity you are, (Y/n)," Janson says.

"And why's that?" I growl at him, bristling at the attention. He pauses in his tracks, pivoting to face me. 

"All it takes is a simple procedure..." he begins, taking a step forward. 

"Can you like, not invade my personal space." I recoil from him, but he doesn't seem to hear my words. 

"A simple procedure for you to regain your memories. Then you'll be back on our side, cooperating with us. I'd like to think we could become... friends."

I stare at him with an unimpressed look on my face, although my heart jolts at the tempting thought of regaining my memories. The endless possibilities of what I would know were a tempting force to be reckoned with. Janson studies my expression as if waiting for me to comply with his suggestion. 

"Although that's quite tempting, the last thing I want is anything to could even push the possibility of us being friends." I exaggerate a shudder at the thought, irking the man.

"Have it your way. The chancellor won't let me anyways." He strides off again, leaving us to hurry after him. 

"Ava Paige?" I question. Janson ignores me, continuing his purposeful strides. 

"Teresa got her memories back, why am I any different?" 

"We're here," Janson snaps, pausing in front of two doors. Swiping his identification card, the scanner beeps a welcome, prompting the white doors to light up with a blue ring of light before sliding apart to reveal two rigs. One of which is already occupied.