Chapter 5

The doors burst open as three more figures enter the room. Ava Paige is flanked by Teresa and a stony-faced Lynn, and all three of them are glaring daggers at Janson. 

"Janson, what is the meaning of this." The chancellor's voice is calm, a stark contrast to her clenched jaw and narrowed eyes. Janson quickly clears his throat.

"At the end of the day, they're all lab rats," he says matter-of-factly. Lynn walks over to me, shouldering Janson so hard the man staggers back. She eyes the fancy equipment I'm strung up to, before shrugging and grabbing a fistful of wires and tubes, yanking them away from me. The doctor who had injected me with the syringe made a start forward. 

"Hey watch the equipment, it's expen-" He closed his mouth glumly as Lynn sent him a look. 

"I see you have a reputation here," I snicker. She raises an eyebrow in amusement, undoing the last of my bonds. 

"Janson. You know (Y/n) is not a lab rat. My office. Now." Ava Paige turns on her heel, preparing to leave as she pauses. 

"Teresa, you take care of things here." Teresa nods, watching as Janson unwillingly follows the chancellor out. 

I rub my wrists, noticing some chafing. I hurry over to Minho, preparing to free him as well. Before I can lift a finger, Lynn's hand clasps my shoulder firmly.

"What?" I ask her. She shakes her head in an apology. 

"Sorry, (Y/n), we only came to get you." 

"But-"

"Drop it." I bite my lip, giving her a small nod. In my heart, I know Lynn has a reason and whatever she says goes, but I can't help but groan in frustration, agitated by the thoughts of whatever horrors he could be experiencing. As if on cue, he suddenly lets out a scream. 

I start towards him again, but someone catches my hand. 

"Wait, (Y/n), please, just let me talk to you," Teresa pleads. I scowl at her in distaste, and her expression crumples. 

"I think you should talk to her," Lynn says simply, before leaving the room. I cross my arms.

"Release Minho from his little mental prison and we can talk."

She hesitates, biting her lip as she glances hesitantly between the shaking Asian boy and the doctors observing him. I scoff impatiently, crossing my arms anxiously.

"Let him go," she finally says. 

"But our orders were to-"

"We're done for today. Take him back to his room," she says firmly, leaving no room for argument. The man frowns, looking conflicted, but nods, unhooking Minho from his machine. Once free, his head lolls forward, as if he's passed out. A pair of W.C.K.D guards quickly grab his arms and half drag him out, Minho stumbling along half-consciously towards where I assume our room is. 

Teresa gestures for me to follow her, and we walk down more long white corridors before she leads me into a little room with big glass windows making up the walls. We sit at a table facing each other, and I grasp my elbows, hugging myself, feeling strangely exposed. 

"What are you doing to us? To him?" I ask her warily. 

Teresa clears her throat, her clear blue eyes looking anywhere but at me.

"Remember what you saw back at the other W.C.K.D compound... where they had the kids strung up and harvested..." her voice trails off into a whisper.

"Wouldn't have thought you of all people would have a problem talking about that," I get out through gritted teeth. She finally looks up, meeting my eyes, her own begging me to understand, to see it from her perspective.