54

ALANI

"I now pronounce you wife and wife," the marriage celebrant announced. "You may now kiss as a sign of your union."

I carefully wiped a tear from the corner of my eye, urging myself to stop crying. Why was I crying? I questioned myself but again, how could I not cry?

Ava and Cecelia's smiles brightened the entire venue, and I felt an enormous amount of emotions rushing through me as they sealed their marriage with a kiss.

Being engaged, and witnessing my big sister getting married was overwhelming—in the best way possible. My heart was full of love and if I didn't get myself under control, I was going to burst right there next to Valerio.

He stood alongside me, his fingers interlaced with mine and the biggest smile on his face as he watched his soon to be sister in law tie the knot.

We were both happy, although our morning started a bit rocky. I didn't want to wear my ring, too afraid that I'd be bombarded with questions from my parents. Valerio wasn't too keen on it, and had managed to convince me to wear it the correct way and if my parents saw it, then only would an explanation be provided.

Plus, Cecelia and Ava already knew I was engaged and that was all that mattered.

The wedding itself was small and intimate, only a handful of guests but both of my parents arrived halfway through and left as soon as their marriage was sealed in.

Is that what being kids to divorced parents was like?
The both of them not wanting to be in same room to the point they're willing to miss out on half of their daughter's wedding? Very inappropriate, but I wasn't going to rile myself up because of it.

I didn't have a chance to speak to them, and I wasn't too sure I wanted to.

As Ava and Cecelia pulled away from each other, their grins didn't waver. They held hands, making their way down the aisle as we clapped and cheered. Cecelia's eyes met mine, her smile widening and I almost sobbed on the spot. She looked so happy, and at peace. Ava too.

He bent down, lowering his head to my height to whisper in my ear, "That's it. I'm marrying you tomorrow."

I looked at him incredulously. "Don't threaten me like that."

He chuckled, resting the length of his arm over my shoulders.

"Fine. Next week."

"Next year," I answered, narrowing my eyes at him.

As much as I wanted to marry him as soon as possible, I wanted the timing to be perfect. And that meant ridding myself of exam stress and finishing up my degree.

"Next month," he argued, his tone partially playful but I knew that if it was up to him—I'd marry him in the next hour.

"Okay fine," I said, rolling my eyes before averting my gaze back to the happy couple making their way down the aisle. "In the next five years."

Valerio gasped, his hand going to his heart. "Don't say that."

We stepped out of the benches, his fingers intertwining with mine.

"What's it going to be, Rio?"

"Fine," he grumbled, pursing his lips. "Next year is fine."

It was only a few months away, anyway.

I lifted his hand, giving him a kiss on his tattooed fingers. "Thank you."

Valerio smiled, shaking his head. "You love softening me up, don't you?"