wednesday addams and the case of the missing will to live

Cameron slipped into a relatively comfortable routine over the next couple of weeks at Nevermore. The only problem was she couldn't get into the Nightshades library on her own, someone was always there, which annoyed her to no end. The normie accusations died down too, the only thing that hadn't was the threat of a visit from one of her 'friends'. 

She didn't want to have to explain to Tyler what had happened, especially not as she got to know him better. She couldn't stand the thought of him learning those things from the past, the way he would think of her after that made her stomach churn.

Luckily he never asked about her friends, he was either too worried he'd set her off or didn't want to remind her of what had happened. She hoped it was the latter, she didn't want him to see her as a threat.

It was an unnaturally overcast day at Nevermore, which was saying something considering that they rarely ever saw the sun.

She spends most of her time that day oblivious to the curveball that fate is going to throw her way. She doesn't see Enid as usual but assumes that she's hanging out with a different friend or a possible gossip source. 

As she's walking back to the school after her run through the woods, she meets Xavier outside the infirmary, he's drumming his fingers on the door miserably. She walks up to him, he doesn't notice her at first. He finally sees her, straightens his uniform, and pretends nothing is wrong.

"How was fencing?" She asks, looking around at the empty hallways. Grey light filters through the clouds and hits the dark floor, turning the corridor into a silent film from the 20s, "Did someone get hurt or something, why are you waiting outside the infirmary?"

"Didn't you hear?" He asks incredulously.

"I've just spent two hours off campus, listening to Mitski and Arctic Mokeys, blissfully ignorant and wallowing in self-pity." He blinks at her in mock confusion, "No. I haven't heard."

"That answer would have sufficed." She shrugs, pointing to the door. "I can't believe you haven't heard of the new girl." 

"New girl?"

"Her name's Wednesday Addams- she fenced against Bianca and lost." He explains as Cameron's jaw drops in horror. "She and I have known each other for a while- but I don't think she recognized me."

"What did Bianca do to her?" She could think of several things but didn't bother naming them out for him.

"Oh- nothing, just a little scratch, she's in there because a gargoyle fell on her, well, almost fell on her." He rattles off the story, evidently realizing how ridiculous it sounds with every word being less confident than the last.

Cameron backs away from the door, "You're kidding," He shakes his head, "What? How does that even happen?" 

"I don't know," He checks his watch, "Aren't you gonna be late for your shift?" 

"If you want me to leave you could have said that," She snarks. He drops his gaze and mutters in disagreement but doesn't challenge her outright. She leaves as he walks through the door, while she'd love to meet the poor soul, Xavier was right, she was running late.

"Did you hear about that poor hiker that got gutted?" Is the first thing Tyler asks her as she walks through the door.

"No. That horrible-" She's heard a lot of crazy shit today, but this about takes the cake.

He takes her bag to hang up as she's going to change, "My dad says it's a bear, but I don't believe him. He probably thinks someone at Nevermore did it." She scoffs before closing the door, Tyler's dad was notorious for hating Nevermore and everything associated with it.