Chapter Thirteen: Stirring the Pot

Tsukauchi Naomasa was tired and overworked. It wasn't a pretty combo, but it was something he was used to. And the USJ case was a top priority right now. It had a ton of media attention and a lot of angry parents waiting behind the proverbial red tape. He shuddered to think of how Eraserhead was going to deal with that. He supposed his friend's main saving grace was the fact that he'd been grievously injured protecting said children, so the parents would hopefully go easy on the teacher (even if they didn't go easy on the school itself).

"They shouldn't blame the school for the attack. If the media weren't at the school to being with, none of this would've happened. This is all Shigaraki's and the media's fault." Jiro stated. 

So, Naomasa had done the logical thing—he'd called in Viridian to help. The man had become their ace in the hole. He was a literal godsend. Not only was his information reliable, accurate and extensive, but the man himself was excellent at problem solving and a knack for seeing the details that the heroes and police had missed. If Viridian ever decided to become a detective instead of a hero, Naomasa would honestly hand in his badge. This man was far more capable.

"Thanks for the compliment, but I think I would like to be a hero instead. Preferably Underground." 

Aizawa looked shocked. That was new. 

He was privately glad the vigilante wanted to be a hero instead. He liked his job.

Eraserhead showed up first. "Hey, how're you holding up?" He asked the hero. The man was still practically a mummy, and he idly wondered if he was even supposed to be out of bed. He and Viridian have a lot in common.

Midoriya and Aizawa looked at each other. 

"I don't see it." 

Todoroki looked thoughtful. 

"Actually, rather well." Eraser admitted. "I expected a lot of angry parents, but there were really only one or two. Some even sent me get well soon and thank you cards. Hagakure's parents sent me flowers."

"I wasn't angry." Inko said. "Worried as hell but wasn't angry. Nobody wasn't expecting an attack. It wasn't UA's fault." 

"Huh. That's a nice surprise." Naomasa wasn't expecting that.

"Another student's parents came to thank me in person. Apparently, word got out to the parents that I'd nearly died while trying to protect their kids, so that's probably got a lot to do with it. Though I didn't hear anything from Midoriya's parents." His brows furrowed.

"You're worried about him, aren't you?"

"He lacks a medical record after he was diagnosed Quirkless, and he's completely okay with being bullied. He's underweight, and has more scars than most pros. He fights like it's second nature and doesn't hesitate to kill when defending his classmates. What am I supposed to think? His parents never even came while he was in the hospital despite us trying to notify them, and the number we had on file turned out to be the private number of pro hero Hawks."

"When you put it that way..." Naomasa had to admit it was worrying. A student with prior trauma that he refused to elaborate on... He had some sort of connection to the Nomu—thus the League—but was not the alleged traitor. He nearly killed himself trying to protect his classmates and teacher, so they could safely assume he was on their side, but the amount of secrets this kid kept was worrying. It sounded like abuse or abandonment. "Maybe he's living on the streets? Abandoned by his parents when he was diagnosed Quirkless? It's happened before."

"I would never abandon my son. Quirkless or no." Inko huffed. 

"I know." Eraserhead rubbed his face with his cast. "It would certainly explain a lot. I still feel like we're missing something, though. A lot of somethings. If he was homeless, then why would Hawks say that he occasionally stays at Midoriya's place? I doubt the number 3 hero would condone a child living on the streets."