•joe seeks advice and comes home to something nice😏•

November 17, 2022

Joe's Pov:

"Burrow!" Coach Taylor snapped, "what the hell was that!?"

I let out a frustrated sigh, "Sorry coach."

"Don't be sorry, make the damn pass!"

"Yes sir." I mumbled as I re-adjusted my helmet.

I haven't been my best today at practice. I'm missing easy throws and not making plays that would win us the game—if this was a game, that is. I was growing frustrated with myself and I could tell Coach Taylor was too.

I dropped back to pass the ball, lofting it into the air and hoping it would be a complete pass.

"Shit," I mumbled under my breath. I overthrew Ja'Marr by mere inches. I watched as Coach Taylor dropped his hands to his knees and give me a look of disappointment. Coach Taylor blew his whistle and then groaned angrily. I think if I was any closer to him he would reach out and strangle me.

"Burrow! What is going on!?" He yelled, starting to walk towards me.

I took my helmet off with a sigh. I ran my free hand through my hair that was damp with sweat. I shook my head, "I've just got a lot on my mind."

Zac sighed and put a hand on my shoulder, "You alright Joe?" He asked lowly. That's one of the things I love about having Zac as a coach. Even if he was pissed off at me for missing throws, he always cared about how I was feeling. Zac was willing to help out all of his players and their families in any way he possibly could.

My lips formed in a straight line as I nodded. I can't tell him what's on my mind though.

He sighed and pat my shoulder, "Why don't you take a break. I'll run some defensive drills instead. You get some water, talk to the guys, do whatever you have to do to get out of your head, got it?"

I nodded, "Thank you coach." I smiled gratefully at him and grabbed my gatorade water bottle before jogging off the field. I heard Zac blow his whistle and shout out that they were going to be running defense for the rest of practice as I filled the bottle up.

"Whew," Tee whistled, leaning his arm on the large water jug, "you're havin' quite the day, man."

"That obvious, huh?"

Tee let out a laugh, "Yeah."

I closed the lid to my water bottle and walked over to the sidelines where Ja'Marr, Tyler, and Evan were standing around and watching practice. I let out a big sigh as I stopped next to Ja'Marr.

"What's got you in such a slump?" Ja'Marr asked, crossing his arms and looking over at me.

I shrugged, "Just got a lot on my mind, s'all."

Tyler and Evan nodded, while Tee narrowed his eyes at me.

"What?" I asked, giving him a confused look.

"Well what's on your mind?"

I shrugged again, "Nothing."