[ seven ]

"You are an idiot!" Fred knocks George's shoulder firmly with his fist

"You are an idiot!" Fred knocks George's shoulder firmly with his fist. "What do you mean you 'forgot' to tell me?! This seems like important information!"

"Fred—"

"I swear to Godrick if I ask Nellie, and she's known this entire time while I haven't, there will be—"

"Alright! Right, I'm sorry," George clears his throat, his fist in front of his lips before he takes in a deep breath; his expression rests with Fred's, planking somewhere between paranoid and serious. "I meant that I was too scared that telling you would make the universe give me the hardest 'fuck you' in history."

Fred brushes off the attitude from his twin, leaning his elbows on his knees. "Just because you tell me, your twin, doesn't mean she's suddenly gonna change her mind."

George just rolls his lips together. For a moment, he's avoidant of Fred's staunch gaze, worried it would turn him to stone.

"I also didn't want her to be upset with me," George admits, "she doesn't seem like she wants people to know?"

"Why not?"

George's neck grows hot. "Well, I don't think we're actually together..."

"Oi! Shut your mouth, you'll jinx yourself," Fred scolds. "You are too together, you dunce. You've been acting like her bloody boyfriend since we were thirteen. What are you? New?"

His tone is sharp. George almost thinks he's more worked up about the situation than he is himself.

"Actually I'm George," he holds out his hand nervously, "nice to meet you."

"Fancy the name, mate. I'm Fred," he takes his twin's hand with a roll of his eyes. "Now let me remind you how the female brain works."

"The last girlfriend you had was third year."

"Yeah and we dated like the whole term," Fred scoffs. "Besides, I've snogged plenty of girls, and chatted with loads of 'em both before and after."

"Half the bloody castle," George nods.

"And I've known Ev for as long as you have," he adds on. "Who did she chat with through the whole Laurel thing? Me. Who has watched the two of you, knowing that one fancies the other, for years? Me. Who—"

"Okay, yes, Freddie, the point."

"Right— what I'm saying is that I'm certified in both your emotions and our dear Evie's," Fred says. "Which also probably means I should have caught on to this whole thing, but—"

He tends to rant when he's excited or scared or confused— really, he rants a lot of the time. Normally, George would let him run his mouth dry, but he was on a time frame here, and he was scared out of his mind over the whole thing.